Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,620   Online: 1246

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa films are still made Agfa.

The AgfaPhoto branded ones meanwhile by two other companies.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In hindsight:

How would Agfa have evolved if Orwo would have been given the flexibility and financial resources to keep up with the pace of time?

They had established their new brand very well, especially in emerging countries. But failed to gain ground in other markets. Finally loosing most western markets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AgX.....thanks for the look back on the bit of history with AGFA. Even an old guy like me can still appreciate how things came to where we are these days.......
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A very interesting post and subsequent thread. My favourite paper of all time was AGFA Record Rapid, which I trusted more than any other to make the results I wanted. That trust led, these days, to me being quite relaxed about buying old AGFA folding cameras for 120 film. Their quality far exceeds the cheap prices they currently command...

richard

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In 2004 Agfa-Gevaert sold their consumer branch including the plants related to that market (all in Germany) to a start-up that mysteriously went bancrupt within short time.
    I believe this spin off was called Agfaphoto and left a big stockpile of frozen master rolls and coated 35mm film that has been sold cheaply for years.On the plus side, it was cheap film and on the minus side it may have affected competitors sales.Their APX 100 was originally recognisible by the red dot on the box but this seems to be used by its successor film not made by Agfaphoto.
    Last edited by Alan Johnson; 07-01-2014 at 08:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Their APX 100 is recognisible by the red dot on the box.
    Meanwhile if designated as "new emuslion" the AgfaPhoto branded APX films no longer have been made in Leverkusen nor are identical to them.

That red dot is the logo related to AgfaPhoto the resting legal entity from that demise.
    Whereas the red rhomb still is the logo of Agfa.

As the red dot is meanwhile used for rebranding only, be careful what you buy under this designation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great post, AgX.

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    For the west-german New-Agfa that caused the buying up of smaller manufacturers competing with overseas company doing the same in Germany..
    Can you perhaps share more info on which smaller companies were bought by Agfa? Perutz, Mimosa, Hauff,..? I would like to know more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've mentioned this before, but is appropriate in this thread. My uncle was mustered out of the US Army in '46 or '47--I forgot which. Then he did his college bit and graduated. Subsequently met a nice girl (my Mother's sister), got married and they had children. The typical American dream at the time. Then he got a job as a sales rep for Agfa Ansco, selling the German-made cameras. He admired them, so he got a job selling them. Ironic that he went from killing Germans just a few years earlier, to making friends with them and selling their products. I still have the Ansco Memar he sold my Grandfather way back then.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Can you perhaps share more info on which smaller companies were bought by Agfa? Perutz, Mimosa, Hauff,..?
    I wanted to keep things simple.
    The take-overs were complex. Some took place indirectly. Also secrecy was an issue.
    Furthermore one has to differ between taken over plants which were closed, or went on with their production with the respective grades between.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you perhaps know the faith of the aforementioned companies. Were they already defunct by the 50's or were they taken over by the big one(s).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin