Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,786   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Soldier's camera and photos found in WWII foxhole

The Battle of the Bulge is known as one of the most deadly and influential battles of WWII. Taking place over the course of five weeks, this surprise attack by the Germans caught allied forces off-guard, causing massive casualties, especially among U.S. Troops.

Among the 89,000 casualties was a soldier named Louis J. Archambeau, a Chicago native who left behind an interesting surprise in a foxhole he had been taking refuge in during the cold weather and rough artillery fire.

..amazing

http://petapixel.com/2014/07/01/sold...0-years-later/
    —-oooO—-
    —-(—)—-
    —–\–(–
    ——\_)-
    ———–Oooo—
    ———–(—-)—
    ————)–/—-
    ———-(_/-
    Ant.
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ

oneant.com.au

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. I wonder how they developed 69 year-old film. D-76 with stand development?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera and film was actually found a few years ago, as the photos appeared in a book concerning the 80th ID back in 2008...so make that 64 years ago..

It remains a pretty darn cool recovery though.

As to stating the Battle of the Bulge had no influence at all, I do have to disagree with that somewhat. It pretty much swallowed up Germany's reserves on the western front. The overal defense of the Reich could've lasted way longer if they hadn't wasted their resources on this gambit.
    Last edited by Mr_Flibble; 07-02-2014 at 05:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for sharing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for posting the thread.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting piece of history!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the British military taking photographs in combat areas and keeping diaries by serving soldiers is strictly forbidden.
    Ben

Shooter
    127 Format
    I didn't read what camera or film was found or how they processed it

Was that mentioned anywhere?

[Moderator's note: Off topic content deleted.]
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 07-07-2014 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    On the technical side, it would be interesting to know the details of how they recovered the film. I thought it was amazing no one else discovered these items after all these years. I have always pictured this part of Europe as having a high density population with hardly no area of woods as being unexplored. Quite amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I didn't read what camera or film was found or how they processed it

Was that mentioned anywhere?
    Bill, here is a photo of the camera in question being recovered from the foxhole. To me it looks like a Zeiss Ikon Nettar (or a VERY similar 6x9 camera).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin