Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,631   Online: 940

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foma film

Shooter
    Multi Format

Foma film

There has been a lot of discussion about the business/financial health of various companies that manufacture photographic film, but I don't recall much discussion about Foma. How is Foma doing from a business perspective?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ask them.

There are no published figures nor any published scandals.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There always is some Forma in my local brick shop.

It is a university student supplier and when a class if students gets a film project lots of the shops stock dissappears. Sometimes a month before replacement.

Rumor or management statements should never be confused with reality.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting, I never saw Foma films in a brick and mortar shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Foma is available in the film stores I have here in Shanghai. Also, the film store I found in Rome had a healthy supply of Foma films.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I'm almost sure Fotoimpex in Berlin has Foma on the shelves.

I was using today Fomapan 200 and 400 bought from the same shop as Xmas.
    And a public thank you to Noel (Xmas) for the great company today in our photo expedition.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Foma has some 2 years ago improved their emulsions by changing the film base from their usual blue tone to a clear one. They also improved Fomapan 200 in 120 format.
    To me that shows film is still important for Foma Behemia.
    Oh, and they revamped their website this year: http://www.foma.cz/en/about-us
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I kind of liked the blue film base on some 120 Foma the last time I used it - seemed to pick up the clouds very well. I believe that they still do use a blue base for some of their 120 products, but that the 35mm From 200 is now clear base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Foma films are far more prevalent than Kodak (B&W) around the world (except probably North America), they seem to have the distribution right where as Kodak's collapsed in many markets. This is from experience when trying to buy film in various countries, I can always find Ilford, Foma a small amount of Fuji but hardly ever Kodak and Tmax 100 & 400 were the main films I used.

It helps that, like Ilford, Foma make a full range of B&W materials including films, papers and chemistry. There's less incentive for a distributor or a store to sell Kodak particularly outside the major US and European markets. Kodak seem to have concentrated on the Colour/Minilab market.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin