Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,055   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, it's gotta be good news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the wsj article interesting, but it seemed to garble the difference between "movie film" (and thus presumably film production also for stills photography) and film used in touchscreen technology, and that somehow producing and selling the latter guarantees the production of the former ... even if there is a relationship between the two (the base?) I had the impression that Kodak had outsourced production of film base?

So it all seems a bit unclear to me, but then it might be my misunderstanding and/or making unwarranted assumptions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks good!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Mr. Clarke originally had hoped that a group of studios, producers and filmmakers would invest directly in Kodak's film-manufacturing plant, as a joint venture. But that proposal fell flat earlier this summer."

This suggests to me the studios are not quite that confident in the long term survival.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the article:

But proponents have also pointed out that film is the only medium still used for preservation of all types of movies for long periods of time—even ones shot digitally. Digital files need to be regularly transferred, putting them at greater risk of being damaged.

Mr. Clarke said that he expects Kodak will lose money on film manufacturing in 2014 and roughly break even by next year, based on the deals currently being worked out. By 2016, he hopes that sales to touchscreen manufacturers combined with projected demand from Hollywood will move Kodak's film business back into the black.
    "I am confident we will see a slowing of the [revenue] decline," said Mr. Clarke. "But a large part of this will be a deeper recognition that film is valuable."
    It is good, I think. Keep them running, but if nothing changes in another 6 months, what will Kodak do?
    Also, it quotes stats from 2002, with Kodak sales probably showing up on a Bell Curve - but how was the lead up, to 2002 - that would be interesting to see.

I do hope Kodak makes it, would be good even if maybe not directly impacting me(I shoot mostly ilford/fuji).
    Then again, apparently film sales only constitute 10% of their sales.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I found the wsj article interesting, but it seemed to garble the difference between "movie film" (and thus presumably film production also for stills photography) and film used in touchscreen technology, and that somehow producing and selling the latter guarantees the production of the former ... even if there is a relationship between the two (the base?) I had the impression that Kodak had outsourced production of film base?

So it all seems a bit unclear to me, but then it might be my misunderstanding and/or making unwarranted assumptions.

Very well observed.

The article further does not differ clearly between camera and projection films. Also Agfa as major manufacturer of cine projection film is explicitely neglected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for the link!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If true, it may also logically say something about EK's ability to further downscale their film production.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The WSJ print edition has a shocking graphic that shows Kodak's motion picture film sales dropping from nearly 12 billion feet in 2009 to less than 500 million in 2014.

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin