Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,852   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

This coul be good for us APUG-ers: backpackbang

Hi all,

https://backpackbang.com/home

Some stuff from USA here in Europe are double and more expensive, and vice versa. We can even maybe bypass the page and go directly over APUG messaging...

What do you think?

Regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a smart idea, and one open to any number of scams and other abuses

But a smart idea nevertheless.

If it takes off, it'll be interesting to see how fast all the various border agencies and tax/excise jurisdictions respond

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sound like a "mule". I'd be careful.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The concept is illegal in the EU (and most probably in the rest of the world).

In a former world that was called smuggling.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That smells not good , I registered to a site , they gave me us address at florida to collect the goods and send in cheapest way.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm not aware of the legitimacy of the site above, but it sounds a bit like Borderlinx. Borderlinx is a professional operation that provides you with a US shipping address, and sorta out all of the appropriate shipping and import taxes for you once the goods get into Europe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's only smuggling if the item is not declared when it crosses boarders, though there may be various other applicable import or export restrictions.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Free from taxes for travellers here are only certain items you need for your journey.

Taking goods for others and declaring as your own belongings is criminal.
    (At least my impression is that the site in question is about that.)
    Last edited by AgX; 08-15-2014 at 05:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eg in Australia, I'm allowed to import (via carrying or posting) $1000 worth of new goods, tax free. If the value of my goods is $1001, I have to declare the whole lot, then I may* get taxed on all $1001. (*that's what it says, it depends on the mood of whoever you deal with I think).

But if I order from OS and split it into two separate packages it's fine. Even if I come into the country with a friend and have a brand-new $2000 camera, even though the camera is indivisible I can combine my and my friend's $1000 allowances and get away with it.

So if I were to carry something back for someone else, that this someone else has already paid for, there's no problem. If I'm taking it back to sell it on, then I need to pay import tax, but otherwise it's fine.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then seemingly legislation is more varied than I thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin