Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 713

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

General information and further positive industry news: new products

Hello,

let's continue with some general photography information (especially for our young and new members) and further positive news about new high quality products from Germany.
    First a kind of "foreword":
    It is a kind of "Binsenweisheit" / commonplace that Digital Imaging has certain strengths, and film photography has certain other strengths.
    Now let's have a look at a field where the advantages of film are very clear, strong and obvious.
    Where film is unsurpassed.
    And where the difference to digital is so big that it will last the next decades, maybe even longer.
    Let's have a look at big pictures:
    You want your pictures (very) big, in unsurpassed brillance, sharpness and resolution.
    You want true-life colours.
    You want an almost three-dimensional effect.
    And you want all that at very low costs, at the lowest costs possible.

Film can give you exactly that: Reversal film and projection.
    When I was asked about that here in the past I've reported about all the tests we did in our small non-profit optical test lab and all the experiences we've made over the years in daily photography and projection with different projectors, lenses and screens.
    Just for those of you who have missed this information so far:

35mm:
    We have tested all the films with a relative low object contrast of 1:4 (two stops). Lenses were Nikkor AI-S 1,8/50 (long barrel version) and Zeiss ZF 2/50 at f5,6 (and some others as well).
    Both lenses have the same performance in the center at f4 and f5,6, but the Zeiss is generally better at the corners and at f2.
    Some test results from our resolution tests (Nikon F6, MLU, MC-30, 1/250s, focus bracketing, Zeiss ZF 2/50, f5,6, Nikkor AI-S 1,8/50, object contrast 1:4; Berlebach Report 3032).
    The first resolution value represents the number of clearly separated lines, the second one the resolution limit where still a contrast difference can be seen.
    Resolution is dependant on the object contrast of the detail you have focused at: with higher object contrast, you would get higher resolution than our test results [see the tests published by Zeiss: Velvia 50 and 100 with 160-170 lp/mm], and lower object contrast would result in lower resolution values):

Fuji Velvia 50: 110 – 125 Lp/mm
    Fuji Sensia 100: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Provia 100F: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Astia 100F: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Velvia 100: 125 – 140 Lp/mm
    Fuji Velvia 100F: 125 – 140 Lp/mm
    Kodak E100G: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    AgfaPhoto CT Precisa 100: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Kodak Elitechrome 100: 120 – 135 Lp/mm
    Fuji Provia 400X: 105 – 115 Lp/mm

Agfa Copex Rapid; ISO 64/19°; Agfa Scala BW reversal process : 165 – 180 Lp/mm.
    Adox CMS 20 II; ISO 20/14°; Agfa Scala BW reversal process: 230 – 245 lp/mm

Medium Format:
    Mamiya 645 Pro TL with Mamiya-Sekor C 2,8/80 N, f5,6; same object contrast of 1:4 = two stops.
    Fuji Provia 100F: 115 – 125 lp/mm
    Agfa Copex Rapid, Scala Reversal process: 130 – 145 lp/mm
    Adox CMS 20 II; Scala reversal process: 195 – 210 lp/mm

And, with excellent lenses you can transfer the above listed resolution values with only a minimal (not relevant) loss onto the projection screen!

We've tested several projection lenses, e.g. the Leica Super-Colorplan P2 2,5/90, Zeiss P-Sonnar T 2,5/90, Doctor-Optics / Kindermann 2,4/90 MC-B, Rollei Apogon 2,8/120, Schneider AV-Xenotar 2,8/150.
    With all these lenses we could transfer the 120 lp/mm of E100G, Elitechrome 100, Provia 100F, Sensia 100, Astia 100F onto the screen!
    Same with the 165 lp/mm of Agfa Copex Rapid and the 230 lp/mm of Adox CMS 20 II as BW-Slide (developed in Scala reversal process)!
    120 lp/mm in 35mm format: That is an equivalent of 50 Megapixels. You would need a 50 MP digital projector to get the same detail at this object contrast. The 165 lp/mm of Agfa Copex Rapid are equivalent to 94 MP, for the Adox a 200 MP equivalent would be needed.

Looking at 35mm slide projection with an excellent projection lens, then the quality is surpassing all digital formats projected with a digital projector.
    Because the imaging chain film + projection is much, much better than the digital imaging chain digital file + digital projector. The digital projector is the very weak part in this imaging chain and decreases the quality of the file to a big extent. From your 12, 24, 35, 40,50, 60 or 80 MP only 1,2,4 or max 8 MP (most expensive gear) remain as output.
    And with all digital projectors you also have the general design flaw that the resolution is even 40% less in vertical format.
    Concerning colour rendition the current digital also cannot compete with the much more precise and natural color rendition of the slides.

Therefore in the field of projection we indeed have the situation, that 35mm film is significantly surpassing all digital formats in picture quality.
    And of course in costs. 35mm slide projection is dirt cheap in comparison.

And of course with medium format slide projection, using excellent lenses (camera and projection), you can significantly surpass the already outstanding 35mm performance:

Well, the 115 lp/mm of the Sekor 2,8/80 / Provia 100F combination (see above), projected e.g. with the 2,8/120 Apogon or 2,8/150 AV-Xenotar from Schneider-Kreuznach with the Rollei 66 dual P or Rolleivision 66:
    120 MP on the screen.
    155 MP with the Agfa Copex Rapid.
    350 MP with the Adox CMS 20 II.

It’s incredible what outstanding picture quality medium format slide projection is giving us.
    Well, best “sex for the eyes “
    For big enlargements slide projection delivers an unsurpassed quality.
    And at extremely low costs:

A projected slide on a 2 m x 2 m screen cost me in the range of only 30 Cents to 1€ per shot depending on the film and slide mounts.
    A quality print of the same size (from negative film or digital file) cost me more than two hundred Euros.

New products:
    Fortunately, besides the huge used market, new 35mm and medium format slide projectors are built by several German companies:
    http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/de/rol...ojektoren.html

http://www.braun-phototechnik.de/de/...iatechnik.html

https://reflecta.de/de/products/list...iatechnik.html

http://www.rbt-3d.de/index.php?idcat...d1c4572c1e0711

http://www.gecko-cam.com/sales/goetschmann/

And now there is even another new manufacturer on the market with top quality products:

http://jensen-diaprojektoren.de/index.php/de/
    (the English version is not quite finished yet)

Mr Jensen is a technician with a long experience in building slide projectors.
    His new Jensen GMF 690 slide projector is designed to project medium format slides up to 6x9 (!).
    So far your best option for formats bigger than 6x6 has been the excellent Götschmann 6x7 projectors.
    With the Jensen it is possible to project 4,5x6, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8 and 6x9 slides.
    For the smaller formats adapters are available. And so even different formats can be presented in the same slide show.

With 7300 lumen this projector is the brightest on the market with a halogen lamp.
    It can be ordered in different colours.
    Currently two high-quality lenses with 90mm and 150mm focal length are available.

Mr Jensen is also working on a LED projector which will probably be introduced next year.

Furthermore the company is producing glassless slide mounts in 6x8 and 6x9 format.
    Of course heat-resistent and with antistaticum.
    Shipped in a long-term stable archival box (DIN 53124 norm), which can be used for slide storage.

And besides that Jensen is also working on 6x7 slide mounts, which will probably be available next year.

So very good news, isn't it?

I just love slide projection:
    Besides the outstanding and unsurpassed picture quality, it is for me just the best "relaxation", the best "chill-out" after a long, hard working day:
    It is like cinema at home:
    Enjoying the brillant pictures on the screen, excellent music in the background, and sometimes an excellent whisk(e)y, a good glass of vine or a cold beer to complete the joy
    Then life is good to me......

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    35mm
    +10. I love reversal film, and shoot it mainly for projection.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have lots of years experience in projection, both film and digital.
    And I can absolutely agree to your results!
    I did similar tests, in our photo club we have done lots ot direct comparison tests.
    And I can confirm all your data and test results:

Projection of reversal film, color and BW reversal film, is absolutely unsurpassed in picture quality and cost.
    It delivers by far the absolute best price-performance ratio.

For those who have not enjoyed it yet, especially young photographers:
    I can only highly recommend to start with projection!
    You will not regret it. You will be hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Besides the outstanding and unsurpassed picture quality, it is for me just the best "relaxation", the best "chill-out" after a long, hard working day:
    Enjoying the brillant pictures on the screen, excellent music in the background, and sometimes an excellent whisk(e)y, a good glass of vine or a cold beer to complete the joy

Best regards,
    Henning
    Same here:
    Projection of my wonderful slides after a hard day, or a hard week at the weekend, is such a great pleasure!!
    Wonderful chill-out.
    And as I have to work with a computer at my job, I am away from the computer in my leisure time. That is very important for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you Henning for the good news!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    The news of new projection equipment is encouraging. Not only for the new projectors themselves, but also the consumables -- lamps, slide mounts, screens. This is where projection has been looking dicey recently -- what would happen once consumables dried up? To a lesser extent, screens and projector tripods would still be available for digital projection, but often the screens would be designed for 4x3 or 16x9 aspects.

These were the things I was thinking about when I bought a projector recently (an old Rollei P37). I had to buy several items from overseas: spare carousels, lamps, and a better projection lens. Now I can feel that other supplies have a more secure future.
    - Nicholas
    Canon Rebel 2000
    Olympus Stylus Epic
    Rollei P37A projector

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So it's settled. I'm building a back to turn my monorail into a projector/enlarger.

Thanks for the good work as always Henning. I don't often go back to the pixel-peeping measurebating digital forums that I used to, but when I do I'm glad that film still wins in resolution (besides all the other reasons why I rarely bother with digital anymore).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Nicholas,

Quote Originally Posted by run2000 View Post
    The news of new projection equipment is encouraging. Not only for the new projectors themselves, but also the consumables -- lamps, slide mounts, screens. This is where projection has been looking dicey recently -- what would happen once consumables dried up? To a lesser extent, screens and projector tripods would still be available for digital projection, but often the screens would be designed for 4x3 or 16x9 aspects.
    all you need for slide projection is available and in production. Projectors, lamps, slide mounts, magazines, screens, tripods, books.
    Best place to look at and to buy is Germany, because most of the manufacturers are located in Germany, and several distributors are offering it here, too (with worldwide shipping).

As you are located in Australia, perhaps you can get in contact with other slide film shooters in 'down under' forming an interest group for information exchange or meeting like "Open Slide" events.
    And maybe then you all can activate one of the film enthusiast distributors, like
    http://filmneverdie.com.au/
    https://www.facebook.com/FilmNeverDie
    to expand their business and customer base by importing projection related things like slide mounts for you.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New products:
    Fortunately, besides the huge used market, new 35mm and medium format slide projectors are built by several German companies:
    http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/de/rol...ojektoren.html

http://www.braun-phototechnik.de/de/...iatechnik.html

https://reflecta.de/de/products/list...iatechnik.html

http://www.rbt-3d.de/index.php?idcat...d1c4572c1e0711

http://www.gecko-cam.com/sales/goetschmann/

And now there is even another new manufacturer on the market with top quality products:

http://jensen-diaprojektoren.de/index.php/de/
    (the English version is not quite finished yet)
    Sorry, I have just forgotten another projector manufacturer.
    Large format slide projection (!):
    http://www.pani.com/cms/index.php/pr...ldprojektionen

Well, and just an addition very well worth being mentioned:
    Enjoying your slide projection alone as 'chill-out', or together with your (girl) friend, wife / man or family, is only one excellent option you have.
    Another one and also highly recommended:
    Meet up with other friends and photographers for an "Open Slide" event, a picture party:
    Every photographer bring about 6 - 12 slides for presenting.
    It is totally up to them which ones they choose. There can be completely different subjects: Potraits, travel pictures, fashion, landscape, wildlife, slides from 30-40 years ago, whatever.
    So there will be a very great variety
    and a lot of surprise
    because no one knows what the friends / photographers are bringing in for the "Open Slide".
    It is exciting, lots of fun, enjoying pictures in best quality with projection together with your friends.
    And all are participating, "actively" by showing some of their own work,
    and "passively" by enjoying the pictures of the others.

And of course it can be combined with a good meal, or a barbecue.
    Well, a little nice party with pictures.
    We have the best experiences made with our "Open Slide" events.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henning, if you lived a little closer I would love to attend one of your events!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Henning, if you lived a little closer I would love to attend one of your events!
    Any plans for a nice journey to Germany?
    Germany is really worth to be visited.
    You are most welcome, and then I organise an "Open Slide" for you. So we will have an international "Open Slide" event, that would be very cool

Best regards,
    Henning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin