Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,540   Posts: 1,598,863   Online: 1173

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

10 worst college majors for your career

According to Kiplinger's, photography is number 8 on the list of 10 worst majors:

http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/c...ex.html?cid=32
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I managed to get a good photo job with my BFA in photography. I work as a staff photographer for the Air Force.

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm

nonsense

They write this nonsense to sell advertisement. If one has a passion for a certain thing what should s/he do, become a bean counter and drag through life doing something really boring? Name me one legendary photographer who had a Harvard MBA. I've seen a million dentists with shiny new Leica M3s who didn't know what all those knobs were for. And never will.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If we want a degree in Canada, we have to go to university, not college. Glad I cleared that up... I feel much better. Anyways, I do have a BFA, which is affectionately referred to here as a Bachelor of $%#! All. After graduating, I got an assistant curatorship at the Kelowna Art Gallery... and I got it mainly because of my degree, and my studies in art history. Learnt a lot of about the business side of art, which is not my cup of tea. So, it wasn't a complete waste of time.
    I also have a Bachelor of Education... which at one time pretty much guaranteed you a teaching job... now? Nope. Not in my province, anyways. Feel badly for new teachers. Many have to leave for other parts of the country, or other countries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a job towards the end of undergrad getting a BFA. Better yet, it is a darkroom job.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got a job towards the end of undergrad getting a BFA. Better yet, it is a darkroom job.
    Funny, when I graduated with my BFA, I was pretty much anti-photography. It's not art. Within a few years, oh how wrong I was!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    If we want a degree in Canada, we have to go to university, not college. Glad I cleared that up... I feel much better. Anyways, I do have a BFA, which is affectionately referred to here as a Bachelor of $%#! All. After graduating, I got an assistant curatorship at the Kelowna Art Gallery... and I got it mainly because of my degree, and my studies in art history. Learnt a lot of about the business side of art, which is not my cup of tea. So, it wasn't a complete waste of time.
    I also have a Bachelor of Education... which at one time pretty much guaranteed you a teaching job... now? Nope. Not in my province, anyways. Feel badly for new teachers. Many have to leave for other parts of the country, or other countries.
    At least in the US, the distinction between college and university is that a college stops at the Bachelors level, whereas a University offers advanced degrees (Masters and Doctorate).

I've heard another meaning for BFA - Bachelors of Farting Around.

Another degree which is in actuality very useful but is often disrespected is the English degree. Having a BA in English Literature means that A: you can write and communicate effectively, and B: you know how to research. For those who haven't sat for such a degree, they think it means you know how to quote Shakespeare and ask if you'd like fries with that burger in a grammatically correct manner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the sole exception of those two learned professions (medicine and law), a college degree in any field is essentialy an admission ticket. It proves that, for four or five years, the holder could take crap. And, therefore, is qualified to take crap in any work position that might be offered. Same as always.

Photography-related positions have never been particularly remunerative. BFA degrees have therefore not resulted in especially high returns-on-investment (ROIs). Kiplinger's list reveals nothing new.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I remember the advise the Music Department gave my son about majoring in music:

Only major in music when you can't imagine your life without being a music major.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my classmates at law school had the best training of all.

He had been a bomb disposal expert with the Canadian Military.

He was great when the stress and tension got high.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin