Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,888   Posts: 1,629,803   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film didn't die with Kodak's Chapter 11

Film didn't die with Kodak's Chapter 11

Published on Jan 4, 2015
    Kodak's Chapter 11 filing in 2012 was believed to spell the death of film photography. Only a few manufacturers now make film and much less of it, but celluloid appears to be making a comeback. The FT's Steve Ager investigates the resurgent interest in analogue.

http://youtu.be/LWWUFYjlGmQ
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Embrace the hipster. He may be the dude that saves our film.

Shooter
    35mm

Sub-set

Film photography is now a sub-set in the broad array of visual arts, like silkscreens, wood block printing and many more obscure disciplines. We don't need no faux hipsters to preserve the art. The Masses always took crummy photos with crummy cameras (remember the Instamatic) and so nothing has changed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A neat video and some interesting thoughts presented here. Thanks for sharing it, Richard.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nothing wrong w/ crummy pics from crummy cameras. Most people are just taking snaps anyway, as was pointed out to me on this forum recently. I think the whole film issue is way over blown. Looked at the Freestyle website lately, or over at ebay? There are a LOT of great films still being made, and a lot of the old stuff will still be good for a long time. Personally, I'm glad to see the sub par stuff gone. Quality, not quantity. Film has never been the problem, nor equipment. The problem is making meaningful work. It's always been like that. Art stores are just full of paints and canvases and such, but finding a work of art that has something to say is like looking for a needle in a haystack. As it should be.

Kodak needed to do what they did. They had gotten far from their original ideas, and were being run by the wrong people. I expect them to come out w/ some new films at some time (although to my mind, who needs more than Tri-X anyway?) What I'm discovering is, if you will just spend a small amount of money and time, and I mean small, you can dial in even the budget priced films to give beautiful results once you figure out which developer suits you. I'm getting really good stuff from Microdol-X (which they stopped making how many decades ago?) and cheap Arista Ultra films.
    Last edited by momus; 01-24-2015 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Insert pithy philosophic statement of your choice here".

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't dismiss the lowly instamatic. Most of the photos my parents took during my childhood were taken with a Kodak instamatic. On Kodachrome!! They are snapshots, but they look just fine.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for posting this video, Richard. It definitely has some interesting perspectives on the state of analog photography today. I don't think film photography will go away for a very long time, although the number of available films will obviously be diminished by the manufacturers as they analyze their sales and costs for manufacturing.

We have a lab in Tucson, Photographic Works, that quite actively promotes film photography with processing and sales of cameras like the Holga and the new Impossible film and cameras. I don't process my own film and I take all my film for processing by Photographic Works. For $15.00 they process a 36-exposure roll of 35mm C41 film and provide prints plus a CD. That's definitely not so expensive.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All I need is Portra 400. I can subsist for a very long time on only that film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterlight View Post
    All I need is Portra 400. I can subsist for a very long time on only that film.
    Yes!!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As always: the same myth about the founding of Impossible...

Concerning the increase in interest: I do not see this at all locally. Still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin