Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,561   Posts: 1,646,499   Online: 705

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    DF

Has air travel hurt film photography?

Primarily speaking:Security. We all know you can't bring film on planes, and unless there's a local "camera" store stocking film near your destination, forget it - it then has to be digital.
    How has anyone gotten around this? Has anyone ever had a film order shipped, to say, a hotel, where it'll be there when you get there? Where do you put/send them after they're exposed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You CAN bring film on 'planes. You can request a manual inspection of film at the X-ray scanners which scan your carry-on items. Allow a little extra time, as they will sometimes do the individual test on each roll. Last November I travelled from Australia to Newark via Hong Kong, and had no problems at all with requests for manual inspections.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I send film through the X-ray machine all the time. Never had a problem.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Is this something recent? Last spring ( 2014) I flew to N.Y. and didn't have a problem. I had a manual inspection. The guy who did it was quite professional and put everything back perfect! I had lots of film with me and 2 film cameras. Is there a new law in effect? that i do not know about???

Shooter
    35mm
    On my recent trip from Melbourne to Kununurra via Darwin I was successfully able to convince the security people to do a manual inspection. Melbourne they were pretty cruisy, Darwin took some convincing (talk to manager), Kununurra took a little bit but were okay. Most said it's fine to put it through the machine. Kodak's site led me to believe that once would be fine (I had 400 speed film), but multiple times could fog it. The biggest issue was when my camera was already loaded. They were mostly pretty good with just inspecting the film, but they wanted to put the camera through, and I obviously couldn't open it to show inside with a half finished roll.

So it was possible but it was a bit of a pain so I'm not sure I'd bother again, though I am probably more on the fence than most of you between film and digital.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Will using those lead lined bags made for film be ok , or will it cause red flags to go off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently traveled from Canada to Hawaii and back with my film stuffed into a (brand new!) lead bag (found at a thrift store for $2 - good as my old one is showing it's age ~36yrs). I had it stuffed into my carry-on bag and another backpack stuffed with my Hasselblad bits.

Each time it went into an x-ray machine I kept a watch on the operator (as best I could). Not one of them seemed to bat and eye at the lead bag mass. Though last year a young woman at YVR asked me if it was a lead film bag and when I answered in the affirmative, she replied "cool".

No comment when traveling through Heathrow and Dublin a couple of times last year either.

In all the years I've traveled by air, with film, I've never had a hassle or noticed any issues with my film upon processing. Some of the film made many trips through the x-ray machines (but always as carry-on!)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The best thing to do is put your cameras through first and send your film right after it inside a clear ziplock bag (or two) in it's own bin so the screener has some context for the film. You shouldn't have any problems.

Remember that when dealing with the TSA the nail that sticks out gets the hammer. So don't stick out with the whole "I'm special" hand check thing. Sad, but that is the way it is now.

Shooter
    35mm
    I may be misunderstanding your point, but I think the concern is avoiding the xrays rather than not being allowed to take them.

Shooter
    35mm
    What speed films have you done that with?

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin