Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,130   Posts: 1,637,246   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Manufacturers Talk about the State of the Film Photography Industry

-----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    seems pretty amateurish not to include a word about Ilford.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agreed -- the manufacturer with the biggest commitment to film and paper, with among the largest variety of offerings...not quoted or mentioned. WTH?!?

Not any real mention of large format or medium format film, either.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post

I agree, however if you read the comments in the article the author wrote that he attempted to reach ilford, but could not speak with them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    Last edited by Wallendo; 04-23-2015 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: duplicates earlier post.

Shooter
    35mm
    This sounds like positive news and is a nice break from the usual doom and gloom that we constantly hear. I anticipate that people in western countries in their teens and 20's will have a bit of a rebellion against immaterial media. You can now see vinyl records in stores that have never carried them before, and people are buying them. I wonder if the same concept of "i want something tangible" can be applied to photography? I really hope so.

I've said this before, but Kodak needs to catalog all the community colleges and universities that have intro photo classes and give them free film, so the old professors can use it as a "gateway drug" on younger unsuspecting youths. Give em' a free taste and then hook em for life. There needs to be more tri-x fiends out there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geez, yes nothing about Ilford. I commented on that too on that article but heck I'll take any news about film that's not doom and gloom. There's those who are pissed off because a rose bush has thorns, and those who are happy because a thorn bush has roses...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by redstarjedi View Post
    I've said this before, but Kodak needs to catalog all the community colleges and universities that have intro photo classes and give them free film, so the old professors can use it as a "gateway drug" on younger unsuspecting youths. Give em' a free taste and then hook em for life. There needs to be more tri-x fiends out there!
    I like the idea, but I think Kodak's only interest is in milking the cow dry, at this point. I'd prefer this to be done by Ilford.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I like the idea, but I think Kodak's only interest is in milking the cow dry, at this point. I'd prefer this to be done by Ilford.
    Very true, since i'm American i assume that Ilford would be able to pull this off in the UK, but not so much in the US.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To me, any discussion about film is a positive thing. If Ilford didn't want to get back to them, then that's their decision, and a really poor one at that.

The comment on the article that stated they should have waited until they heard from Ilford before publishing is ridiculous. You go w/ what you got. And I totally agree that Kodak films are the best in the business. Not that the others are "inferior", but it is what it is, and w/o Kodak, film photography's history would not be what it is. If they had only made Kodachrome and Tri-X, those two films alone would have secured their reputation. It would be impossible to have a discussion on film w/o talking about Kodak. Sort of like having a conversation about racing w/o mentioning Ferrari. Kodak did get back to the writers, to their credit.

I'm mature enough to understand the difference between the dimwits that nearly ruined Kodak over on the business end, and the dedicated and talented people that came up w/ the films in the first place. I have no crystal ball, so nothing from me on film's future. Who knows, really? I buy and shoot film, so that's about all I can do on my end. Thanks for posting this.
    Last edited by momus; 04-23-2015 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin