Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,632   Posts: 1,648,063   Online: 923

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Film - branded Kodak Alaris

I was in the local grocery store today and, out of curiosity, looked at the labeling for the small selection of Kodak film there.

For the first time in my experience, there was reference to Kodak Alaris, rather than Eastman Kodak or one of the international subsidiaries of Eastman Kodak.

It was Kodak Ultra Max 400, with a "develop before" date of March 2017.

The older film and single use cameras on the display still had Eastman Kodak references.

In addition to Kodak Alaris references, there were also references to various other international Kodak related entities - Brazil, China, etc., etc.

As has always been the case in that store, the film is not cheap.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got a new box of 4X5 T Max 400 in April, "expires" 4/2017. (They don't say "develop by" or "expiration date", just "04/2017"). I wondered if it would say "Kodak Alaris" on it, but it doesn't. It's labeled: "Kodak
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Rochester, New York"
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Undoubtedly, this relates to stock turnover of the packaging materials, including labels for sheet film boxes. Simon Galley has mentioned a number of times that the cost of packaging is a significant factor when HARMAN decides whether or not to offer new special-order-program sizes. It seems unlikely Alaris would instruct Eastman Kodak (and pay it) to dispose of old packaging materials on hand simply because they didn't say "Kodak Alaris."

Use 'em up, then move on. I wouldn't speculate on what "blame allocation" ought be made between slow sales and large existing stocks of packaging. We'll never know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    It seems unlikely Alaris would instruct Eastman Kodak (and pay it) to dispose of old packaging materials on hand simply because they didn't say "Kodak Alaris."
    I disagree, on two factors: Companies factor in costs to change trademarks/logos as normal overhead expenses, and just put the old stuff in a dumpster. Knowing Kodak's history, I count on Kodak to make the worst possible financial decisions. It's genetic, they can't help it. They can always go bankrupt again.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Undoubtedly, this relates to stock turnover of the packaging materials, including labels for sheet film boxes. Simon Galley has mentioned a number of times that the cost of packaging is a significant factor when HARMAN decides whether or not to offer new special-order-program sizes. It seems unlikely Alaris would instruct Eastman Kodak (and pay it) to dispose of old packaging materials on hand simply because they didn't say "Kodak Alaris."

It depends on what inscription we are talking about.

The designation of a manufacturer (whether that may be the manufactuer in the physical sense or not) has legal implications.

Any claims thus would have to be directed to Eastman Kodak, who then would have to state/prove that the very batch already was marketed by Kodak Alaris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Pics or it didnt happen.

I tried, but the camera in my cel phone must be too advanced for me, because the blurred result I got wasn't going to tell the story to anyone!

There is at least 4 languages on that part of the package, and the font is tiny!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin