Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,867   Online: 1065

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tom Petters sentenced

Tom Petters has been sentenced to 50years of imprisonmemt by US court for fraud.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but given allowance for time served and possible time off for good behavior, he may serve only 41 years.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greed can creap on you for sure!

Jeff

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am still puzzled by that verdict. Though I should not be surprised as the different national kinds of criminal justice are continuously a topic of the media over here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What puzzles you? Too short? Too long? Sentence vs. that for a violent crime?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am puzzled by the long duration. Over here fraud is a relatively mildly sentenced crime as the opponent in the transaction is participating (by letting himself being betrayed).
    You refer to violent crime: As the sentence in this case is practically already a life-long sentence, how would someone be sentenced who commited a violent crime?
    Last edited by AgX; 04-12-2010 at 06:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Violent crimes in the US usually get long sentences and then early parole it seems...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm no expert, but from what I read in the local papers the Petters sentence is a function of a few things:
    it was a long running fraud, and multiple frauds, not an isolated incident
    he did not plead guilty (kind of a catch-22)
    many people were hurt
    it's intended as a warning to others.

Perhaps if he had been sentenced before some of the larger scandals came to light (such as Madoff) he would have gotten off a bit easier. But the public is angry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I am puzzled by the long duration. Over here fraud is a relatively mildly sentenced crime as the opponent in the transaction is participating (by letting himself being betrayed).
    You refer to violent crime: As the sentence in this case is practically already a life-long sentence, how would someone be sentenced who commited a violent crime?
    AgX:

Arguably, the USA believes in and uses incarceration more than any other country in the world.

I expect that it has something to do with the fact that there are two parallel systems of criminal justice (federal and state).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin