Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,777   Online: 1031

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    jnanian

I know the feeling! It helps to realize that photography never was the hobby of the poor.
    With good reason. I wasn't poor until I got into this "hobby".
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    With good reason. I wasn't poor until I got into this "hobby".
    Don't I know the feeling!

I do have some film (about 100 rolls, plus sheet film and quickloads) in the fridge/freezer, but it's not hoarding...I don't live in a place where the films I like to shoot are readily available, and it's much cheaper to buy online (and internationally) which means buying in bulk in a variety of formats (35/120, colour/B&W) to make the best use of the shipping prices. That being said, I did buy some films (like HIE) and papers (for lith) once I found out that they had been discontinued (which usually happens right after I discover them).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    ... "And the [Ilford] price increase? Not a problem. In fact, I'm not even going to alter my purchasing cycles to try to "beat" it. I will simply continue to purchase what I need, when it's needed, at whatever price helps to provide for its continued availability.

"To do otherwise would be, I believe, both short-sighted AND truly shooting myself in the foot..."

Ken
    I feel the same way.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Vinyl records and high end analog audio equipment thanks to MP3s
    I hope that photography doesn't become like high-end audio equipment. I want to be able to afford to keep doing it.

Even though I stockpile film, I still buy film as I use it up. I try to use a FIFO system--as I pull older stock from the fridge, fresher stuff goes in, so that there's always a certain amount in there, and it doesn't get too old. I also don't see it as affecting the film market much: the film is out there, either I buy it, or someone else buys it, or no one buys it. If 1 or 2, eventually it will get used, if 3, then production will end that much sooner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Other things which are "dying": Vinyl records and high end analog audio equipment thanks to MP3s, drawing and painting by hand since the arrival of the digitablet, classic cars are history now that the Volt has arrived, sculpting by hand is no more with the arrival of 3D printers, Home brewing of Beer now that canned beer has arrived, Chefs have gone the way of the dinosaur after frozen dinners introduced, fly fishing has died since factory fish farms have come on the scene. I could go on...
    I have seen a lot of classic cars around where I live.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    I hope that photography doesn't become like high-end audio equipment. I want to be able to afford to keep doing it.
    While the bamboo reed needle on a 78 may be the metaphorical equivalent to pin-hole photography, no one is likely to consider that high-end audio.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that b&w photography will always be around, in some capacity. And I mean always. Color emulsions are what we should be worried about and I know we are (worried).
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I think that b&w photography will always be around, in some capacity. And I mean always. Color emulsions are what we should be worried about and I know we are (worried).
    If we have B&W emulsions and filters then worse comes to worst we can still do color the hard way, three exposures...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exactly!

As long as it's panchromatic...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Finding film has never been a problem here . Problem was to find a reliable camera . I gave hell of money to Rollei 35 S because of sonnar lens and than someone sent me Nikon with a Sonnar lens and all cameras give me 10 good picture per 36 and others have burned. I am an old fashion photographer and preferred Leicas until today and I really scare to give hell of money to a Leica via keh or others and get my hand burn. But this summer will be the last chance for analog cameras , I will buy a bgn R4 and a telyt from keh and if they dont work , I will never be afford to these 30 years old junks again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin