Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,044   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The "dying world of chemical photography"

Don't be drinking anything while reading this, or you might spew all over your computer when you get to the end.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...apple_rim.html
    Last edited by Tony-S; 01-25-2011 at 12:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sure hate to see that happening.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There were some interesting comments to the post. I don't think film is dying as asserted in the article, I think Kodak film is dying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the motion picture industry determines a lot of the revenue Kodak has from film in general. Since much of that market is migrating to digital as well, it's just a matter of time before they have to stop doing what they're doing.
    Companies like Ilford and Foma don't have a dependency (direct anyway, other than maybe film base material etc) on the motion picture industry. They serve photographers in general, so they are better poised to tackle the future.
    I just hope that materials used to manufacture the products we use (and Ilford/Foma/Efke etc make) won't become so scarce that they become impossible for vendors to manufacture profitably, if Kodak and Fuji stopped altogether.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..its called 'downsizing'. We all have to do it. A company that can not survive on 7.9 billion a year, I don't feel sorry for. Kodak needs to leave the traditional photography market and give it to someone who cares about it.

dw

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At least it's moving closer to when and further from if.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...and a terribly sad thing to watch as well. And saddest of all, I don't honestly believe it had to happen.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When is the last time you bought film?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would call the statement accurate, though a bit poetic for a news article.

I've always held the same belief as Thomas about the motion picture films' affect on Kodak's ability to continue still film production with the way they are currently set up.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin