Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,330   Online: 1070

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's another issue raising it's head which could have a more positive effect on Kodak's film division. There's now growing debate about the future of 3D cinema and whether it'll survive.
    Regardless of the debate on 3D, it is already too late, cinemas are going digital and the pace of converting is increasing.

For example the three biggest cinema chains in the USA are all going digital and depending on who you believe will be almost fully digital by the end of 2012. Most large chains now have agreements with Sony, Barco etc to supply projectors for any new openings. A good example of this was back in September 2010 when Vue Cinemas here in the UK and across Europe announced that they had reached a deal with Sony to install Sony CineAlta 4K digital projectors across its entire network of 600+ cinemas.

If 3D film production ended today, cinemas will still continue to go digital. When it comes to duplication and distribution, production companies and cinemas prefer the lower cost options. That’s one of the reasons why the majority of films that are edited on a computer are then mastered again to film at 2K and not 4K.

That is the problem facing the EK motion picture side, customers use it as they have to, not necessarily because they really want to. Digital is changing that, look what has happened to 16mm usage, and the same is now starting to happen to 35mm.

The continued trend to digital in cinema is also evident from the actions of the makers of movie cameras, when was the last time Panavision or Arri released a new film camera, I am pretty certain there have not been any in the last three years. They have released lots of new digital products though.

I honestly can't think of anything which is going to realistically come up which will stop and reverse this trend in cinema, and before someone mentions it, digital cinema in China is taking off too...

The next few years will be very interesting for industry observers, and possibly sad for many film users.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhilton View Post
    Regardless of the debate on 3D, it is already too late, cinemas are going digital and the pace of converting is increasing.
    I think that was the driver all along. Forcing cinemas to replace projectors. Or should I say giving the theaters an incentive to replace them.

When it comes to duplication and distribution, production companies and cinemas prefer the lower cost options.
    And it was cheaper for the cinemas to have their old film projectors. More expensive for the distribution companies for sure. But if the cinemas are told they have a product which they can charge an extra couple bucks for, and they need that product to stay competitive... Now the studios can save on the distribution.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    before someone mentions it, digital cinema in China is taking off too...
    I'd guess that means Bollywood would not be far behind. Isn't India still the world's largest producer of films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If 3D film production ended today, cinemas will still continue to go digital. When it comes to duplication and distribution, production companies and cinemas prefer the lower cost options.
    Agreed. It's all about the money, and in the money arena digital wins.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Counting on the movie industry to continue to support film is pretty much futile. 3D is crap in my book but digital in general will likely take over, eventually. The bottom line is that a company like Kodak will probably quit film within 5-10 years, as it's just not cost effective for them to continue to simply supply a few hardcore users. On the bright side, when a big company goes, smaller ones pop up, pick up the slack, and flourish. There will always be enough film shooters to support a focused, smaller business, that can manage to be profitable and prosper. Living without Tri-X certainly doesn't thrill me and it would certainly be more of a heart-breaker than Kodachrome, but life will have to go on.

Kodak could also spin off the film division and run it as a boutique, niche market, and take some cues from Ilford, Rollei, etc. There are still ways to make money there but probably not in their current situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Kodak could also spin off the film division and run it as a boutique, niche market, and take some cues from Ilford, Rollei, etc. There are still ways to make money there but probably not in their current situation.
    I think that for reasons obscured from us, and likely never to be revealed, this isn't an option for them.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I think that for reasons obscured from us, and likely never to be revealed, this isn't an option for them.
    They need the profits the film division makes to pay Perez - $12.6 million in 2009.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-28-2011 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fix link

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I hope kodak as a company will survive. I really like their positive and negative and black and white films. I hope if kodak fails that some other company will buy their film business end and keep making colo as well as black and white films. If film dies all together I will retire photography as my main art medium and I wiil devote my time completely into drawing and painting and perhaps I will start taking lessons into wet plate photography. The digital camera will only be used as a supporting tool for orther art mediums. In the mean time I will shoot as much film as I can, and for certain, it will be a lot kodak film. Enjoy while it lasts. Digital does nothing for me . It is just more convenient, although, I think personally that computers and downloading images and keeping up with storage space is more of a hassle than it is worth it. All we can do is keep shooting film and spread the word.

Happy shooting.

Shooter
    35mm
    I remember a friend who works in the computer industry predicting to me that different technologies such as computers, photography, the internet, TV, telephones, cinema and home entertainment, would all eventually merge.

This was only about ten years ago, and it all sounded rather far-fetched then...but it's certainly proving correct much sooner than expected!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (on the possibility of a "Boutique Kodak" spinoff)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I don't think the reasons are "obscured from us"---they've been discussed here frequently. When your infrastructure is scaled for extremely-high-volume production, it's somewhere between "difficult" and "impossible" to ramp down to boutique scale.

Assuming film sales don't stay at a level that justifies continued production at Kodak's scale, it kind of seems like the best outcome is that they spin off their formulae and some of their considerable "secret sauce" knowledge to an operation built from the ground up to run at a smaller scale. I don't know who that would be, though.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin