Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,187   Online: 886

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funny but I know deeply troubled audio junkies who fear dying in their sleep each night for not owning the latest piece of aspirational sucker bait. Most of them have small, odd stashes of audiophile recordings that showcase aspects their systems but fail as musical experiences. Music junkies have house-filling collections of rare, wonderful vinyl LPs, tapes, 78s, CDs, even Edison rolls, that are like coral reefs full of recorded wonders played usually on at best OK+ systems. The contrast has always amused me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I read a test at Stereophile about a 100 000 dollars turntable. Company had been sent it to the test guy for couple of months. He told when his wife heard the system said '' Better than Sex ''.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I read a test at Stereophile about a 100 000 dollars turntable. Company had been sent it to the test guy for couple of months. He told when his wife heard the system said '' Better than Sex ''.
    Maybe the guys at Stereophile need some new friends...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe the guys at Stereophile know some good divorce lawyers...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone for whom the sound from a turntable, any turntable, is better than sex is either a eunuch or a virgin.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It works for me. I never have a similar shock as When I heard the my first Istanbul Cymbal in a domed 550 years old building. It was same feeling like seeing Jesus or Muhammed in your room.
    I put 25 years on it , went to the archaeology , get analysises , research all metallurgy from Andes to Egypt to Yakutistan to Africa. I know this stuff better than photography. I think someone who did not experience this in his lifetime few times , he she is the real virgin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe she was saying that sex sounded worse than the turntable
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As for digital vs analogue audio... I've gotten to hear recording sessions on SSL-G (valve desk, but digitally sampled) and SSL-K studios.. then hear the actual recording.. and what can be done to it. Neither CDs or Vinyl can hold a candle to it imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I believe Francis Fukujama has under-thought his analogies.

Photography, making pictures out of light sensitive materials, is like playing musical instruments not merely playing records. A photograph is not a reproduction of subject matter, not a copy or a duplicate or a replica. It is an original thing in its own right and subject matter is just one of the ingredients borrowed and then set aside in the chain of production.
    Well said.
    Last edited by Athiril; 03-03-2011 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Some college kids are rediscovering vinyl records, shooting with film and recording with analog recorders. What's old is new again.
    Wow! Wonder if there's any hope for me. I'm old.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Anyone for whom the sound from a turntable, any turntable, is better than sex is either a eunuch or a virgin.
    Um, it sounds like he's the problem, since his wife made the comment. Perhaps he needs to spend less time in front of the expensive stereo.

-Laura

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin