Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,902   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    While Mr. Fukuyama is a very fine academic, most of his arguments here are the same old elitist audiophile nonsense that's been around for years. Nevertheless, I'm happy to see a man of his statue support analog photography.

Also, from the comments: "Dr Fukuyama overlooks HDR photography, which is really a modern variation of what the F64 group."

Wins the award for most laughable comment ever.
    Last edited by dnjl; 02-28-2011 at 03:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ZZZzzz...Somehow this isn't likely to cause a ripple compared to his The End of History. Next?

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course Fukuyama makes an error in the first sentence when he writes "Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kan., closed down." I called Dwayne's and spoke with Grant (VP of Operations) to let them know that a major news outlet was reporting their demise. Hopefully the WSJ will print a correction!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He forgot the Walker Proscenium turntable. When you buy one they will fly to your house with it and make sure it's properly installed.

It isn't so much about what comes out of the speakers, printers, darkroom trays, or whatever. I think it's about whether you like doing it or not.

Both vinyl playback and digital has so much quality to offer that it'll be fun to boogie to either of them.
    Both film and digital photography has so much quality to offer that the resulting prints will be really amazing.

So it becomes a matter of preference. And most people choose what's convenient. It's human nature. We have to learn to deal with it.

My hopes for photography and vinyl records lie with a younger generation that are appreciative of the qualities film and vinyl have to offer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How many thousands of blog and forum posts have there been saying exactly the same thing?

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My goodness, you can't choose your allies, but ....

"If you don't believe this, you've probably never listened to a good-quality record on a high-end turntable. By high-end, we're talking about turntable-tonearm-needle combinations that cost upward of $10,000—that's right, five figures—from manufacturers like VPI, Basis or SME."

Yikes. I am such a prole.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think its always nice to see these pro-analog articles.......
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Francis Fukujama has under-thought his analogies.

Photography, making pictures out of light sensitive materials, is like playing musical instruments not merely playing records. A photograph is not a reproduction of subject matter, not a copy or a duplicate or a replica. It is an original thing in its own right and subject matter is just one of the ingredients borrowed and then set aside in the chain of production.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some college kids are rediscovering vinyl records, shooting with film and recording with analog recorders. What's old is new again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin