Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,712   Online: 926

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kraker - I'm guessing it's used in packaging;canisters.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Kraker - I'm guessing it's used in packaging;canisters.
    Yes, that's the only thing I could think of...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think Aluminium is mentioned as it is a base for sensitised printing plates ( graphics )
    CTP Computer To Plate technology.

Film cassettes are steel.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe they've quietly replaced the silver halides in Tmax emulsions with aluminum halides

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon - thanks for info. And for continuing to support film!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just remember folks, the price of silver has dropped a whopping 27% in less than 4 days. EK isn't failing due to silver prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Simon - thanks for info. And for continuing to support film!
    +1

HUGE THANKS !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of finger pointing at the price of silver, which is in a wobble at the moment, shedding 24%++ over the last month and still falling Seems investors and speculators want high-performing currencies now...
    Kodak's lack of competitiveness is its major weakness in the global market.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-06-2011 at 02:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I just bought my annual giant box of travel film, and it's all Kodak - TXP320, Portra 160, and I'd already stocked up on Plus-X before it vanished!! So I've done my bit for now - long may they continue to produce such great products (and then when they stop... Ilford!)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Lots of finger pointing at the price of silver, which is in a wobble at the moment, shedding 24%++ over the last month and still falling Seems investors and speculators want high-performing currencies now...
    Kodak's lack of competitiveness is its major weakness in the global market.
    You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. Kodak has been introducing cameras and other tech like printers behind the curve, and advertising cheap low cost digicams, with lack luster specs and quality. As well as dumping ad money into the most random celebrities (take a look at kodak1000 words).

As for the silver and aluminum, Kodak's buyers should have been intelligent enough to have known to buy and price their silver though set forward contracts, as a hedge that should have started alongside the rise of precious metals commodity prices (like gold a few years back, in the recession). A large buyer like kodak would have been shielded somewhat from the majority of the spike in commodities trading and the recent drop is great for them aswell. You cant do much with aluminum as the market is incredibly broad, except either absorb the cost or pass it onto consumers.

Kodak needs to either acquire a tech firm with a capability to leap the curve in tech, refocus their brand image clearly, and not discount their long standing film user base (their site used to have much more info for film users, and the deletion of film lines), or develop a film product thats cheaper than silver based ones.

A recent resurgence of film users, is something Kodak should foster and promote. Not the cheapo digi cams which are and will be replaced by cell phone cameras.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin