Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,776   Online: 907

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Proof that Herb Keppler's ghost still has editorial pull at PopPhoto.

Still, it's nice to see them take a break from writing breathless infomercials for their top ad clients. The list is a bit odd, though, for both inclusions and omissions, along with lapses of judgement:

1. Bronica SQ: Problems finding 120 backs and certain lenses(wides,110/4.5 macro,135mm and 180mm) are pricey and scarce relative to 80mm and 150mm lenses. SQa models are gettin' old. WLFs are expensive. Only affordable 6x6 SLR alternative to Hasselblad. Get an SQ-B: newer, cheaper.

2.Late model Canon EOS, like Nikon N90s F100 and F5 bodies, are really cheap now and enormously capable.

3.Canon AE-1:best selling 35 SLR of all time according to old PopPhoto articles in the industry's peak sales year(1980). Ancient and squeeky.

4.Fujifilm GA645: like all Fuji plastic MF rangefinders, no parts or support from Fuji.

5. Hasselblad: more friends have sick/dead Hassies than live ones; most can't afford lenses aside from an 80mm.

6.Leica R series: get a Nikon or Canon AF kit. Only for label junkies.

7.Mamiya 645 Pro(Super/ProTL):slandered as plasticky but mine have survived intact.Good glass, reliable, cheap. A best MF buy?

8. Nikon FM10: WTF? Why bother when you can get mint FE, FM2n, N90s bodies for peanuts?

9.Nikon N80: Clueless. Again, an N90s (or N8008s if you're truly broke)is more flexible than this clunker. Takes expensive and not-available-everywhere CR123 batteries, not cheap and ubiquitous AAs.

10.Pentax 67: Had one, loved, it, left it for the RB67 Pro S. Low synch speed and no swapple film backs were the deal breakers, not size and weight. Great glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That IS a Weird list. Also weird that I care... but here are my thoughts.
    If the Pentax 6x7 is always a good buy... why put it on the list.

I'd say:

Nikon F3
    Canon F1n
    Hasselblad 500's
    Nikonos V --- how did they miss this one? It is one film camera that can do what few digital can... cept those cigarette pack sized weather proofs so I might be wrong.
    Pentax K1000, I'd keep the Fuji electro 120 camera in the mix.
    others.... Horseman or Toyo field view folders, Mamiya 645, Nikon N90 and or F100, Nikon FM2, an OM??
    Have a nice Saturday all. I have a "honey do" list to work on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    5. Hasselblad: more friends have sick/dead Hassies than live ones; most can't afford lenses aside from an 80mm.
    We have a winner! This is either a bigoted uninformed poster or the poster has really challenged friends. He out did himself today!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sirius... I agree. Come on there are nearly as many 150's out there for sort of cheap. I do agree that there are plenty of worn out blads out there... but unless you are buying sight unseen you can pick out a good one with some patience.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Sirius... I agree. Come on there are nearly as many 150's out there for sort of cheap. I do agree that there are plenty of worn out blads out there... but unless you are buying sight unseen you can pick out a good one with some patience.
    I see more smoked than clean user examples. It's an aspirational brand. That can create problems for the market PopPhoto's targeting in this article. Lacking the savvy to sort junk from jewels, noobs stumble into raw deals, often by swallowing hype that Hasselblads are somehow immune to wear and tear. A good one won't necessarily be cheap or easy to find. The junkers are thick on the ground now, true sucker bait many friends took hook, line and sinker. Caveat emptor, more so than usual

Images
    Where are the LF cameras? I feel like such a bastard child.

What the hell is a swapple film back?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So shoot me for typo--swappable

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eos 3, 1n series are outstanding deals at the moment. F100 is pretty good. FM-10 I dont get.

RZ67 kit is a decent price and a much smarter move for the studio user than SQ gear. Its cheap, there is lots available etc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eos 3, 1n series are outstanding deals at the moment. F100 is pretty good. FM-10 I dont get.

RZ67 kit is a decent price and a much smarter move for the studio user than SQ gear. Its cheap, there is lots available etc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have an SQ-A -- actually enough components to have two operational simultaneously -- and a Canon AE-1 which was my dad's. I actually prefer my A-1 over the AE-1, but maybe this list was skewed a bit by factoring in quantities in circulation, etc. I keep dancing around the idea of a Canon EOS film camera, as I have some lenses that would work on it, but I shoot so little 35 mm I'm not sure it makes sense for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin