Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,700   Posts: 1,482,619   Online: 765

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    [QUOTE=CGW;1177711 Hasselblads are somehow immune to wear and tear.[/QUOTE]

They sort of are...except the fact that the owners generally use them so much.
    Since going to my Leaf Aptus Back on mine it shows 38,000 odd exposures in the 5 years I have had it... and probably another 50,000 film exposures.

It has CLA just twice... once when it was two years old and once about 2 years ago.
    >>..... they do keep going and going and going... like no other animal out there that can go outside the studio in a backpack without batteries.

The pop photo article did say something about it being an aspirational brand. Just like a Land Rover, and I'd like one of those too. Not that there are not junkers out there... again Land Rovers and Hasselblads are kept in third and fourth and fifth hand circulation for a reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon EOS bodies are easy to find in excellent condition and they are a bargain, price wise. I have two pristine EOS 3 bodies that I'll eventually sell because I very rarely use them. I have never really forgiven Canon for ditching the FD mount in favor of EF. I have more and better FD glass than EF, so I mostly use my F1 rather than my EOS 3 whenever I shoot 35mm SLR.

But the EOS bodies are excellent and highly capable film cameras and used and new lenses are plentiful, so it's hard to imagine a top 12 list that doesn't include them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I see more smoked than clean user examples. It's an aspirational brand. That can create problems for the market PopPhoto's targeting in this article. Lacking the savvy to sort junk from jewels, noobs stumble into raw deals, often by swallowing hype that Hasselblads are somehow immune to wear and tear. A good one won't necessarily be cheap or easy to find. The junkers are thick on the ground now, true sucker bait many friends took hook, line and sinker. Caveat emptor, more so than usual
    Neither I nor the other Hasselblad owners who bought Hasselblad equipment from Samys or KEH.com had problems. Don't bother to blow smoke up our noses, all you have is blather and hot air. You got nothing.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    They sort of are...except the fact that the owners generally use them so much.
    Since going to my Leaf Aptus Back on mine it shows 38,000 odd exposures in the 5 years I have had it... and probably another 50,000 film exposures.

It has CLA just twice... once when it was two years old and once about 2 years ago.
    >>..... they do keep going and going and going... like no other animal out there that can go outside the studio in a backpack without batteries.

The pop photo article did say something about it being an aspirational brand. Just like a Land Rover, and I'd like one of those too. Not that there are not junkers out there... again Land Rovers and Hasselblads are kept in third and fourth and fifth hand circulation for a reason.
    They break. Many of the used examples I see are worked-to-death junk.

There's an old joke about Land Rovers taking you there and Land Cruisers bringing you back after the breakdown.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Neither I nor the other Hasselblad owners who bought Hasselblad equipment from Samys or KEH.com had problems. Don't bother to blow smoke up our noses, all you have is blather and hot air. You got nothing.

Lucky you. Enjoy the pissing contest with yourself. Newbs can't always sort what's what and get had in the process buying the brand. Where's the controversy in that?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=CGW;1177772]They break. Many of the used examples I see are worked-to-death junk.

That's what she said!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    They break. Many of the used examples I see are worked-to-death junk.

There's an old joke about Land Rovers taking you there and Land Cruisers bringing you back after the breakdown.
    Gee, that could be said about any camera, but you picked on Hasselblad based on your prejudices and what you had for breakfast. But you must have had something and all this time I thought that hallucinogenics were illegal in Canada.

Just sayin'

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Where are the LF cameras? I feel like such a bastard child.
    Yeah, if they really wanted to blow people's minds they could have suggested that a decent user Speed/Crown Graphic could be had for a couple hundred bucks.

They also missed the hipster-oriented toy camera, but I doubt that's their demographic anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am glad that they did not include LF cameras in that article because I only have two 4"x5" cameras and I still want to expand more in LF. I don't want the competition for LF equipment.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A bit of a random list, I thought. They might has well just have said, "there are a lot of great film cameras out there for cheap, here are some bargains," and maybe that's what it is, rather than a "top 12" list. If it gets some digital photographers to look into trying film, it's not a bad thing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin