Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 779

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    A bit of a random list, I thought. They might has well just have said, "there are a lot of great film cameras out there for cheap, here are some bargains," and maybe that's what it is, rather than a "top 12" list. If it gets some digital photographers to look into trying film, it's not a bad thing.
    It's a reasonably informed sample, true. In many areas, though, the whole supply chain for film photography dissolved over the last 3-5 years. It's not so easy now for many to find basic process/print services and that discourages newcomers no matter how low camera prices fall.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just think it is nice that they included so many 120 cameras. Anything they do to promote film use is fine with me. I think they were trying to span the low end to the high end and that list is as reasonable as any. The fact that I can think of probably another couple dozen they left out means there are a lot of great options out there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Was it a complete list? No
    The fact that the article was printed by a magazine which could not dump film any faster than it did, is the past is amazing. The fact that it included several 120 cameras is even better. Hopefully this will start a significant shift towards film.

We should embrace and encourage any new or returning people to film. Furthermore, we should help those who want to learn to develop film and make prints.

No Hasselblads or Leicas were injured or killed in the process of making this post. Neither were Nikons, Canons, Mamiyas nor Pentaxs.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    They break. Many of the used examples I see are worked-to-death junk.

There's an old joke about Land Rovers taking you there and Land Cruisers bringing you back after the breakdown.
    Hyperbole that I'm not buying... too much testosterone have you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post

No Hasselblads or Leicas were injured or killed in the process of making this post. Neither were Nikons, Canons, Mamiyas nor Pentaxs.

Steve
    Right on...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Im actually surprised they didnt throw a TLR or Holga on this list. Both are great fun, and easily accessible in any market.

I didnt think was a great list myself, but any acknowledgment that film is still around, and its virtues is still great...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Realistically they publish articles like that on their website to get more page views. Why not list all 12 cameras one under the other? Why do you have to click from one page to another to see the next camera? Because it gets their page count up & that is good for selling advertising. When you look at it like that it's easy to see why some of the choices are odd - it has as much credibility as those 100 Greatest Albums lists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really thought they should have separated it to 2 groups eg. 35mm & 120 film cameras.

I also mentioned it there last night also as (dncswclds) but got no response...
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 05-07-2011 at 10:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Other than a 'Blad, the only one on that list I'd actually want is the GA645. I keep hoping to find one in good shape (pref. the ZI version) for under US$500, but so far that hasn't happened. I *was* hopeful, though - I see KEH has a GA645 Pro in BGN condition for US$484, which is a good sign that the prices were starting to come down to my ideal range. If this article reverses that trend and starts making the GA645 units *more* desirable and expensive, I'm going to be mad
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    8. Nikon FM10: WTF? Why bother when you can get mint FE, FM2n, N90s bodies for peanuts?
    I have to totally agree with this...just got a second FM2...nothing to do with popular photography though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin