Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,964   Online: 862

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems the article was a random stab in the dark for film cameras with a few big heavy-hitters (Hassy 500C, EOS 1N among, Pentax 67) and a smattering of the smaller, but just as robust cameras e.g. the Nikon FM10. NO particular order, and no evidence of favouritism.

Despite any misgivings, however, well founded or trivial, I agree we should be throwing our support behind any magazine coming up with writings about film cameras. I have seen some astronomical price increases locally here in Australia on digital cameras and also Canon's L-series lenses (increases were flagged after the Japan earthquake).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Despite any misgivings, however, well founded or trivial, I agree we should be throwing our support behind any magazine coming up with writings about film cameras. I have seen some astronomical price increases locally here in Australia on digital cameras and also Canon's L-series lenses (increases were flagged after the Japan earthquake).

The PopPhoto list was purely coincidental. I truly doubt they'd have bothered outside jitters about supply interruptions to new gear from Japan--the pretext for the camera list. Still, it may spark some interest but don't count on this nano-trend going far. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Still, it may spark some interest but don't count on this nano-trend going far. I'm hoping I'm wrong.
    Something we agree on. I am very slightly more positive than you are.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad to see it in there. I stopped subscribing to that magazine in the early 90's and have walked past it in the new stands since because I didn't need reviews of new digital cameras or it didn't have anything I couldn't find on the web.

Pop photo doesn't want people to get TOO far wound up in film photography; lest their readers take a break from the gerbil wheel product cycle consumers are on buying the newest DSLR every couple of years to keep up with the jones' which supports the magazine and it's advertisers. It's Pop photography, not Unpopular photography.

Someone could offer them advice for a follow up. Then there will be a run on all your favorite cameras and you won't be able to buy them reasonably priced for a while. But a healthy market for film cameras is a good thing as long as it's not just a bubble. They had some good choices and some uninformed choices (e.g. various used nikons are far better than the one shown). I'd have liked to see a TLR or two in the list and a LF camera or two. Like a speed/crown or calumet monorail. A toy/lomo camera might be worthwhile too.

Perhaps KEH and Ebay are advertisers in the magazine and encouraged them to do an article. I like KEH and perhaps KEH had some suggestions for them with regard to what they want to disappear from their inventory or was commonly better than average margin.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

8. Nikon FM10: WTF? Why bother when you can get mint FE, FM2n, N90s bodies for peanuts?

9.Nikon N80: Clueless. Again, an N90s (or N8008s if you're truly broke)is more flexible than this clunker. Takes expensive and not-available-everywhere CR123 batteries, not cheap and ubiquitous AAs.

Agree about the FM10, though if you are the sort of person who insists on buying new, you don't have many choices, do you? Still, I bought an FM2 for not too much and it has been great so far.

The N80 was chosen as it works with modern digital lenses, where as the N90s doesn't. I do agree about the batteries though. I'd vote for an F100 on this count. Slightly bigger and heavier, lacks a built in flash, but feels great and uses AA batteries.

Of course, as said we all have our own lists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I applaud the writer for the attempt but I do not think a lot of time and research went into it. Other the K-1000 he stayed with mostly electronic ladened 35mm bodies that today are showing up with problems that repairing are difficult to repair. For instance the Leica R series and others with lcd screens that can not be replaced as spares are few and far between.

I was surprised not to venerables that can be had so inexpensively as entry level systems such as something with M42 lenses such as the Spotmatic that does not have the mercury cell issue, an issue he never points out with any of the battery dependent cameras that used the likes of the PX625. Or the Yashica FR and FX series cameras that have fine Yashica glass and for a slightly better formula the Zeiss/Contax. In fact I am taken back they he did not bring up the Contax RTS III. Or, an Olympus OM.

Then he misses any TLR, a wonderful design whether it be a Yashica or Rollei or Mamyia. I think at least 1 should have been mentioned, possibly the Yashica based on price. Possibly not the Rollei as there are so may models and variations, it can take entire websites to get through it all.

I agree he might have split the list to 2 lists of 12 each and that would not have been enough to cover everyone's experiences and tastes. For instance there were no fixed lens 35mm cameras or rangefinders of which there were and still are some nice examples of while pointing out the FM-10 is still made as if it is the remaining 35mm still in production which it is not.

Possibly he will do a followup moving this article to an introductory piece and address in more detail and research in the following.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin