Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,438   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

PopPhoto's 12 Film Cameras Worth Buying Right Now

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/05...ying-right-now

Click see gallery

What do you guys think? I don't own any of those

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have added the Canon F-1 and the Mamiya RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see my camera is there. YAY for Pentax K1000!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting article. I'm not sure I could limit myself to only 12 though. I have the 645 Pro, the 1N and the N80, and strongly recommend them. I also have the AE-1, but it's seen so little use that I'm preparing to part company with it. That Fuji GA645 sure looked interesting...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have owned/used many of them but don't currently own any. The ones I would leave out are the Bronica 6x7, the Nikon N80 and the Ricoh GR-1.
    I too would have included the Canon F1 and the RB67 as well as the Nikon F90X (N90X). The Bronica 6x7 is a good camera but not in the same league as the RB67 - for one thing the Mamiya lenses will beat the Bronica glass every time. The Nikon N80 (F80) is one of the least appealing Nikon film SLRs ever made and the Ricoh GR-1 - I've never come across it. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bronica SQ series is 6x6.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I think that these articles benefit two kinds of people: dealers – as the prices go up due to increased demand, and the naive camera buyer who can't do their own thinking or research. The informed enthusiast suffers as prices go up due to increased demand. You might get the idea that i'm not in favour. I already know the worth of all the cameras in that list that interest me and/or that i already own. No surprises, either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    I think that these articles benefit two kinds of people: dealers – as the prices go up due to increased demand, and the naive camera buyer who can't do their own thinking or research. The informed enthusiast suffers as prices go up due to increased demand. You might get the idea that i'm not in favour. I already know the worth of all the cameras in that list that interest me and/or that i already own. No surprises, either.
    I think that's a very negative way to look at it (not saying you're wrong though), if articles like this get people to consider film, who otherwise would have stuck with digital, surely that's a good thing.

If the prices are pushed up, that means that the article has had a very significant impact on sales, although I guess it's rare that one article can move a market.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    A Magazine article of any kind relating to film ? an endangered species, can't remember when I last saw one so congrats to Pop Photo,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And they're suggesting people get back into film so that's a good thing!

I have an AE-1 and a 1N and still use them. The F-1 to be honest is very expensive in the used market so I don't recommend buying one as a user; it is priced for collectors. The 1V is a better camera than the 1N but is way more expensive so again, I wouldn't recommend it so much for a user unless you're in love with 45 AF points and are coming from a 1D which is almost identical in control layout.

I chose the RB67 when looking for a MF SLR but they can recommend the Bronica and Mamiya 645 instead, that's OK, it's just their list. I'm sure we as a group would come up with 100 different lists of the 12 best film cameras to buy for users.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin