Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,179   Online: 683

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Being a natural born cynic I'd probably say it isn't quite so dismal. Not so sure it is really looking "up" just yet.

Let's hope that the glow on the horizon truly heralds sunrise.
    True!

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ever hear of the "dead cat bounce?" Sad but that's what I suspect we're looking at here. Any sort of uptick, however fleeting or faint, can be read as a reversal of prolonged trend. With labs and film inventory decimated by a decade of decline, remaining business is funneled into surviving processors; still, it doesn't amount to much to celebrate. "Lomography" is a silly and cynical effort to "brand" film photography and sell over-priced toy cameras. Having talked to a few of the delusional who think 120 film only works in Holgas and Dianas, I'd say the scheme works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Having talked to a few of the delusional who think 120 film only works in Holgas and Dianas, I'd say the scheme works.
    How do you think these people come to this view?

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    If selling 4 million rolls of film in a year is silly and cynical, then hooray for silly and cynical!
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    If selling 4 million rolls of film in a year is silly and cynical, then hooray for silly and cynical!
    Totally.

From the article: "Shooting on a manual camera means you can't make a mistake"

If only that were true!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    How do you think these people come to this view?

Tom
    Lomography stores and websites? It's absurd. It's the photographic equivalent of the "Easy-Bake Oven."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film isint going anywhere so why are any of you worried. this forum alone most likely buys enough black and white film in common sizes (135,120,4x5) to keep a small company like efke or foma in production.
    Worst case scenario, last company standing (ilford, efke,foma) now has to produce for the entire world and has little issues, and all of those companies make a full line up of products and could no doubt expand that line if needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    What could happen is these younger folk, those who are buying the holga's and Diana's maybe will get hooked on film and want to go further with better equipment, If these toy cameras get more people, especialy younger people, interested in film photography then that must be a good thing, I do know that I have seen more people with film cameras over the last few months than for a long time, and when I am out with my film cameras I get a lot more interest from young people, along the lines of ''where do you buy film cameras, I want one,'' than ever, and I often see them out and about a few weeks later with their ''new'' film camera, so it seems to me that the interest is there, we just need to foster it, be prepared to help and encourage them,
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    On a good year I shoot around 100 rolls of film. I think this is a lot for an amateur, most probably shoot much less, maybe less than 50. If all the 'Lomographers' shoot 50 rolls then the 4 million sales equals 64,000 photographers or 128,000 if they shoot 25 rolls per year. Lomography hope to double that this year (during a deep recession too). I think Lomography can be seen as a gateway to 'better' cameras for many but maybe not all. Importantly, I think, it's quite transient - I saw my first Lomo in the late '90s and the trend is still with us. There seems to be a continuous new generation of photographers buying into the brand. Hundreds of thousands of photographers must have gone through a 'Lomo' phase in the last decade and a half.
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    What could happen is these younger folk, those who are buying the holga's and Diana's maybe will get hooked on film and want to go further with better equipment, If these toy cameras get more people, especialy younger people, interested in film photography then that must be a good thing, I do know that I have seen more people with film cameras over the last few months than for a long time, and when I am out with my film cameras I get a lot more interest from young people, along the lines of ''where do you buy film cameras, I want one,'' than ever, and I often see them out and about a few weeks later with their ''new'' film camera, so it seems to me that the interest is there, we just need to foster it, be prepared to help and encourage them,
    Richard
    I don't see the "interest" you note, same as I've seen, amounting to more than a nano-trend among the easily distracted 20-somethings I meet. iPhones are "good enough" for most of them and will only get better. This has killed the market for low/mid price p&s digicams. I don't see many in this demographic sporting DSLRs outside the usual small % with the means and/or interest to buy into "system" cameras. Film stuff has cachet but mainly as a kind of retro fashion statement with little abiding commitment. Hoping I'm wrong but most I've helped into "film" drift away after a few rolls, citing the trouble and expense of processing and printing. Those who hang on and come to love it get all the help I can give, Problem is, there just aren't that many.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin