Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,931   Online: 988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Having troubles focusing?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387422,00.asp

Found that to be fascinating. I wonder how exactly that works?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's likely to be a marketing BS for focus stacking. Search for it on wiki.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The next camera to come out will make pictures of what you missed when you pressed the shutter.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not marketing BS, it truly is a new way to take images. It records the "light field" by using a micro-lens array (fly's eye array). It has parallels to integral imaging techniques, a concept conceived by Gabriel Lippmann in the late 1800's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_field
    http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/lightfield/

Also, see the integral imaging thread here if you wanna get all analog on this mother.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darn, I thought this was an ADD support group thread.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info holmburgers! It's interesting reading. It looks like focus stacking is just one of the practical applications of the light field theory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    very welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if there could be any application for this in film scanning?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Images
    The first sentence is all I needed to read, but I did read it all. In my opinion it is one more gadget aimed at those who shoot without thought, and refuse to take credit for crappy shots. We as a society spend an inordinate amount of time trying to make things "easy" yet at the same time remove the thought, and the learning that comes from those thoughts. People say they just want to take pictures, not worry about all that other stuff, like composition, and in this case worrying if your picture is in focus.

I have been rather disgusted with the refusal of people to DO something and LEARN how to do something, without expecting some gadget to do most of the work. Yes I use a calculator, yes I do use digital cameras, but if they went away I would be able to do what I needed to do without them. Guess I am just getting old. I'm going to go chop up a car now and take it to the scrap yard.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I'm going to go chop up a car now and take it to the scrap yard.
    That will probably make you feel better..

It's true, we live in a virtual world where many people are more comfortable manipulating things on a screen with a mouse, a remote, or a controller, as opposed to a physical object in the real world.

However, times change, and sometime in the future we'll reach a plateau in technology, when a new generation that has been brought up completely engulfed in this way of living will rebel & search for a way out, again discovering the physical world. At least I hope so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin