Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,435   Online: 805

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post

Incidentally, Google also shows the previous title, which was "Obtaining negatives from the now bust Kodak franchise, Elegante Wedding Photography". Not "Obtaining negatives from the now bust Kodak". So the rephrased title, whilst better, is not so far removed from what I put originally, which was not that mis-leading in my opinion. I did wonder...
    Ted:

The problem with your former title wasn't what you said, but the fact that APUG tends to display just the first portion of a long title on many screens.

So although you wrote the whole thing, our screens tended to end with the words "now bust Kodak ........"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm impressed they kept everything and had a plan should folks want their negatives.
    I hate to say it but if it was over here they probably would of ended up in somebody's dumpster.
    But, then again it was Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

Forgive me...I mis-understood. Absolutely right.

Mwdake - I was quite astonished too. When I was told, by the person who arranged the shoot (not the actual photographer), that "they never destroy the negatives", it never occurred to me to think "what, not even if you go bust?". The fact that they did go bust, and yet the overarching parent Kodak still managed to collect and store all of the negatives from this franchise, and for them to be still available to customers 5 years after they went bust, and ten years after the wedding (just in my case) is amazing.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming that this is a franchisor/franchisee arrangement, it doesn't surprise me that the franchisor (Kodak) would retain or be entitled to claim possession of an asset as important as negatives.

It may be that it was Kodak that forced them out of business.

Franchise agreements tend to favour the franchisor .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post

it never occurred to me to think "what, not even if you go bust?". The fact that they did go bust
    Just to "correct" this post, Elegante didn't go bust. They were corporately murdered and closed down by Kodak as they didn't fit in with the Kodak brand. As a business they were still photographing over 350 weddings a week. A management buy out was dismissed as Kodak wanted the brand to close.

That said, its great that you managed to get the negs and a positive on Kodaks point that they archived them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin