Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,653   Online: 762

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    How many VHS tapes do you know that skip, stall, and generally stop working? Besides getting eaten (which is usually to blame on the machine), they're a far more robust media than DVD and yet no one seems to recall this or care. Record a show on SP quality and you won't believe it's VHS.

The problem is, this kind of talk out of my mouth immediately gets stamped LUDDITE, NOSTALGIA FREAK, etc. I feel like I'm just being practical...
    As a person who still uses minidiscs for a large part of my classical music collection, I sometimes get a similar kind of comment! When you think about it, these people are actually been damned rude! How would they feel if their choice of car, clothes or latest-trendy-gadgets was criticised?

My step-daughter recently bought a BMW and someone said to her "Oh, you've joined the *****ers who drive BMW's". Quick as a flash, she replied "Well, you don't have to drive a BMW to be a *****er!". Smart girl.

(Sorry, getting OT)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well perhaps you're right about VHS vs. DVD, but I will say that there is a lot of stuff hidden away on VHS that may never be released on DVD. That alone could justfiy keeping a VCR around.

haha... love the BMW quip
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel a similar sadness (though signficantly less) when people are rushing to get rid of their VCR's and all their VHS tapes, like my parents. I mean, transferring family memories to DVD and who knows how many actually keep the original tapes (I've convinced my parents to). How many VHS tapes do you know that skip, stall, and generally stop working? Besides getting eaten (which is usually to blame on the machine), they're a far more robust media than DVD and yet no one seems to recall this or care.
    I've had much better luck with disks than tape. Tape is very flimsy and fragile. It stretches, wears out, accumulates magnetic defects, can be erased by kids magnets, crinkles, gets jammed up by dirty capstan rollers. Good riddance to cassette tapes and VHS.

Once you get video images converted to digital, then they can be copied and backed up as many times as you want, inexpensively. Terabyte external disk drives are inexpensive and very cost effective. You can store an average family's collection of homemade video on one with very little trouble. Then make two extra copies, and keep one offsite in case of fire, flood, or burglary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, forget what I said about VHS. However, you should never throw away originals on VHS.

Perhaps I had a crappy DVD player, but I couldn't watch a movie without it skipping, stopping and generally ruining my movie experience.

Didn't mean to pull the thread off topic...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think patents is a new line of business. They've long been licensing them, but they've probably got plenty to sell too that they won't get around to implement.

These patents have a shelf life too. The sooner they sell them, the longer they will protect to the new buyer's purchased ideas. That's gotta be worth money to someone who will actually use them for innovative products rather than simply to own them to sue people with.

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel a similar sadness (though signficantly less) when people are rushing to get rid of their VCR's and all their VHS tapes, like my parents. I mean, transferring family memories to DVD and who knows how many actually keep the original tapes (I've convinced my parents to).

How many VHS tapes do you know that skip, stall, and generally stop working? Besides getting eaten (which is usually to blame on the machine), they're a far more robust media than DVD and yet no one seems to recall this or care. Record a show on SP quality and you won't believe it's VHS.

The problem is, this kind of talk out of my mouth immediately gets stamped LUDDITE, NOSTALGIA FREAK, etc. I feel like I'm just being practical...
    There used to be a used shop here called AAF Photographica. I wandered in there occasionally and one day found a stack of 8mm film cans labeled, e.g., "honeymoon-NYstreet-53". They were all full. A dollar a piece or the stack for $10. I passed. (What a dolt I was, and I own an 8mm projector.) I hope their VHS tapes -> DVDs held up for the grandkids.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    As a person who still uses minidiscs for a large part of my classical music collection, I sometimes get a similar kind of comment! When you think about it, these people are actually been damned rude! How would they feel if their choice of car, clothes or latest-trendy-gadgets was criticised?

My step-daughter recently bought a BMW and someone said to her "Oh, you've joined the *****ers who drive BMW's". Quick as a flash, she replied "Well, you don't have to drive a BMW to be a *****er!". Smart girl.

(Sorry, getting OT)
    HAHA I actually liked minidiscs! There was even a minidisc player in my car up until recently. Good format, great protection of discs, but a hassle for recording =[ 1:1 speeds, I mean really?! they sped it up later on to 1:4x speed but still.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minidisks are a cool technology. Sony could have owned the MP3 player market, just as Apple does now. But as a content provider, Sony made it difficult to record. You couldn't transfer files directly from a computer.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I made recordings on 1/2" audio tape of some musicians around 15 years ago.
    I recently went back and listened to the tapes and they are MAGIC! The sounds oozes warmth and smoothness. We do miss out on an inherent character when we rush to digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Off topic, but if you all like analog audio, tube audio and analog video check out AudioKarma.com. Its bigger than APUG, over 100,000 members.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin