Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,778   Online: 984

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Seeking to Sell its Patent Portfolio

Kodak’s “viability on a go-forward basis may be not only challenged but hard to defend,” Keith Wirtz, Cincinnati-based chief investment officer at Fifth Third Asset Management, which oversees $16.7 billion, said in a telephone interview. “They do have values embedded in patents and other technologies. Someone is going to buy the company and tear it apart.”
    Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-real-m-a.html

Eastman Kodak Co. has kicked off its patent sale, as the beleaguered imaging company seeks to ride the bull market for patents and capitalize on its intellectual property in the booming market for tablet computers.
    Investment bank Lazard Ltd. began marketing the portfolio this week, reaching out to companies that might be interested, said a person familiar with the matter.
    Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...605257846.html

Original links from Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5832041/kodak-emb...tent-portfolio

Saddled with poor earnings, pensions, a struggling digital imaging business, and consumer printing business, Kodak seems to be driving it self to destruction by dismantling its patent portfolio piecemeal. I am actually very disappointed in its management's decision to do this. Seeing that they are still in litigation and awaiting the decision of the US International Trade Commission on infringement of their patents by Apple and RIM, their current decision to sell off now, may indicate that their patents may not hold up. This doesnt sound like it will end well at all. The end is near. =[

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Someone is going to buy the company and tear it apart."

Already been reading this stuff, but didn't want to say anything.

This is so sad it hurts...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I was just starting to like Portra 400.

Dammit Kodak don't you screw this up.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    There's still Fuji I suppose

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    There's still Fuji I suppose
    Yes Fuji is still there. For how long ? I'm afraid C-41 end is not that far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by faustotesta View Post
    Yes Fuji is still there. For how long ? I'm afraid C-41 end is not that far.
    Darn I hope not!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I read somewhere that Kodak's film business brings in about $2bn revenue per year, including the movie stocks. Even today, that's a big business, and perhaps freed of the past legacies, someone can turn this into a successful business again. Not that long ago, Apple was struggling to meet the next month's payroll (really), but now they are around the most valuable company in the world. Kodak can't do that, but turnarounds happen, and sometimes they happen in a big way.

Even if the worst happens, and Kodak is liquidated, no liquidator will see a large revenue stream and just close it down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking back I see Kodak was thinking of selling its film business in 2007. Now I sort of wish they had, probably would have made a lot more sense to sell it back then! I think it will be a tougher sell today. I hope it happens so we can continue to get their products but I am not holding my breath. Just when I got into doing my own C-41 and RA-4 too... rats!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-real-m-a.html

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...605257846.html

Original links from Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5832041/kodak-emb...tent-portfolio

Saddled with poor earnings, pensions, a struggling digital imaging business, and consumer printing business, Kodak seems to be driving it self to destruction by dismantling its patent portfolio piecemeal. I am actually very disappointed in its management's decision to do this. Seeing that they are still in litigation and awaiting the decision of the US International Trade Commission on infringement of their patents by Apple and RIM, their current decision to sell off now, may indicate that their patents may not hold up. This doesnt sound like it will end well at all. The end is near. =[
    Before we go all "Chicken Little" over this, let's for a change take the time to read around and see what's on the table rather than vapor endlessly about the unknown.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've read around and see this a great news for film, considering the alternative. Kodak management is working hard not to be bought out and have its parts sold off. By selling patents off they seem to be buying time until that can finish a restructuring and bring it back to profitability.
    I see selling the patents rather than selling the company as the better deal for film and film users.

The 3 billion dollar number seems a bit high for the patents. Big players have already stocked up their patent arsenal. They will go at a much lower price to a patent troll company or similar outfit.

P.S: The pension shortfall appears to be much higher than is reported by the company. This will scare away some buyers of the firm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin