Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,310   Online: 900

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be honest, I don't perceive that Kodak makes actually any products besides film.

Yes, I know they sell printers, inks and other digital doodads but they don't manufacture very much besides film.
    Even the pack of Kodak branded inkjet paper I have says, "Made in Germany. Finished in USA for Eastman Kodak Company."
    It says, to me that Kodak didn't make them paper themselves. They farmed it out to somebody else who stamped the Kodak brand on the finished product.

Kodak isn't a manufacture of anything. "Kodak" is just a word that gets stamped on things. It's just a meaningless brand name.

If something doesn't give, soon, Kodak is going to end up like Polaroid.
    The Polaroid we know doesn't exist. Polaroid went bankrupt years ago. The thing that people see, nowadays, is just a logo that some company bought the rights to use so they could stamp it on packages.

I don't even know what company owns the Polaroid brand, anymore. I'm not sure it even matters.
    That's what's going to happen to Kodak.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    It says, to me that Kodak didn't make them paper themselves. They farmed it out to somebody else who stamped the Kodak brand on the finished product.
    [...]
    Kodak isn't a manufacture of anything. "Kodak" is just a word that gets stamped on things. It's just a meaningless brand name.
    [...]
    I don't even know what company owns the Polaroid brand, anymore. I'm not sure it even matters.
    That's what's going to happen to Kodak.
    What you describe here has happened to quite a few very well known brands, as this article points out. Many great companies which stood for a well known and solid product lines (Polaroid being one of them listed in the article) are now only used for their brand name, under which random junk is peddled to the unsuspecting customer.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfhsM...yer_detailpage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ZwBlf3AeLRM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=cxwn2wQNVXs

KODAK nearly filed for bankruptcy years ago as well ..
    hopefully they will come out a stronger company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak as a company and brand name is doomed, the film Division should be split off as a new company. The sooner that happens the better.

Meanwhile Perez and other exectives should be thoroughly investigated for ther mis-handling of the company and it's assets and their embezzslement of funds.

Ian

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Meanwhile Perez and other exectives should be thoroughly investigated for ther mis-handling of the company and it's assets and their embezzslement of funds.

Right. So Perez from 2003 on singlehandedly convinced millions of consumers to abandon film for digital?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Right. So Perez from 2003 on singlehandedly convinced millions of consumers to abandon film for digital?
    That's your conclusion maybe not mine.

No Perez and other executives took extremely high salaries etc and at the same time had no idea of how to take the company forward succesfully in new ways.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope the Kodak film products division can be continued as they make some fantastic and in aspects unique products. There is also the issue of the motion picture market ...

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    And you are right to be worried. I don't see anybody buying Kodak's film division - at least not with the intent of keeping production in the USA. Their current USA-based production infrastructure is far too large for current (and still-declining) market demand and carries with it potentially massive toxic tort liability.
    While I would always like to see jobs kept at home, for photographic purposes it doesn't matter much where it's made, as long as the formula is the same and the QC is good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Perez and other executives took extremely high salaries etc and at the same time had no idea of how to take the company forward succesfully in new ways.

Ian
    If so, that's incompetence, not embezzlement. If anything, those who hired Perez and agreed on his compensation (the Board of Directors) would be the ones to be held ultimately responsible for any lack of results.

And I really don't think this can be all hung on Perez, simply because many bad judgments and resultant problems predated his tenure.

Though if he'd only listened to Terry Mester...
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-01-2011 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: reworded
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    That's your conclusion maybe not mine.

No Perez and other executives took extremely high salaries etc and at the same time had no idea of how to take the company forward succesfully in new ways.

Ian
    And if the Board of Directors authorized it - there isn't thing #1 that anybody can do about it.

And guess what? In a Chapter 11 proceeding it is very likely that Perez and other Sr Execs will be first line after the US government to receive compensation because Perez was probably shrewd enough to demand that his severance be fully securitized.

And the bitch of it is that it is entirely, 100% legal.

Bill Gates, himself, has lost quite a bit of money on Eastman Kodak stock and not even he will be able to do anything about it.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin