Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,721   Online: 790

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Good news! Your stock dropped 54% in one day!

It's like the phone call I got from my stock broker some years ago...

"Great news! Your stock lost half it's value in one day! What a great opportunity to buy!"

Kris

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Max ,

I agree with you but I believe Tri X requires a real Leica that ones were 30 to 70 years old . My new camera is modern , more sterile , hot colors , no artful grain. I think until I buy an real Leitz , Kodak will lost the game. So today , Pan F is more suitable to my camera. I always looked and apprentice the old photographs but I am older and my taste is newer. Ilya1963s pictures were really excellent and I loved them a lot , especially dark , cinema affiches ones. Whites are dazzling and lots of tones of blacks , greys and highlights. They made me to believe Ilford easily.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I did my very best over the years..bought a ton, shot a ton, and still doing it....my conscience is at peace
    I also did my best with Kodak films. I've bought and shot TMX as much as I could. And going back a bit further, I bought and used Polymax Fine Art FB almost exclusively. My favourite paper ever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    ...its so speedy and like watching an aircraft accident.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I also did my best with Kodak films. I've bought and shot <add your favorite Kodak film here>* as much as I could.

* Underlined phrase in brackets added by Ken. -KN
    As I've said many times before, APUG - hosting possibly the largest concentration of hard-core film users remaining - is NOT the place for anyone to start laying blame. When, and if, the Kodak ship takes its final plunge to the bottom, it only stands to reason that it will not be primarily the fault of those here.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agree with Ken.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had shorted the stock at 2.8. sold on tues.
    Seemed very obvious Kodak's CEO was bluffing about the interest in a kodak patent sale.
    Thought the bankruptcy talk wouldn't happen until after the current quarter ended, but you can't predict them all. More info here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...167627950.html

Kodak pensioners, watch out!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Max ,

I agree with you but I believe Tri X requires a real Leica that ones were 30 to 70 years old . My new camera is modern , more sterile , hot colors , no artful grain. I think until I buy an real Leitz , Kodak will lost the game. So today , Pan F is more suitable to my camera. I always looked and apprentice the old photographs but I am older and my taste is newer. Ilya1963s pictures were really excellent and I loved them a lot , especially dark , cinema affiches ones. Whites are dazzling and lots of tones of blacks , greys and highlights. They made me to believe Ilford easily.

Umut
    Mustafa,

Grain is not about the camera, and only VERY partially about lenses. Tri-X will give you a great look and grain with any camera and some Rodinal, assuming you put some effort into it. Ilya's work is fantastic but there is a A LOT more that goes into that than simply a film choice and lens. In fact, I can honestly say that his images look the way they do NOT because of his film choice. Developer plays a part but it's his process and vision that deliver those prints. He contact prints 8x10 sheet film on Lodima paper and develops them in Amidol. That gives a very unique look and it is not easy to master successfully. I don't want to burst any bubbles but the truth is that film choice is the least important part of the look of a final print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ultimately it is Kodak's fault for the failure of Kodak. Consumers cannot be held responsible for a company, the company is responsible for figuring out what people want to buy, setting the right price, marketing it correctly and so on. After effectively inventing digital photography, they let others take it away. Playing catch-up now was always going to be a failure. After failing in the consumer market they decided that business to business was the place to be but again they are very late to the party.

$3 billion in patent sales would be good. They've lost $1.78 billion since 2008 so at that rate the patents would give them some breathing room if they can figure out what people want to buy, set the right price, market it correctly...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    EK's patents are basically worthless without the cash on hand to defend them. They will try and sell them, and that may help raise some funds, but what they really need to do is fragment and save what can be saved. But I can tell you that selling patents is hard work, the buyer has to think they're getting something defendable and they must also have the funds to defend them. A better approach may be to carve out mini-EKs base don well established IP.

We can all offer theories why EK got into this situation; obviously, obsoleting one's own product is what comes to mind. But then if you look at IBM, Microsoft, Apple etc. they all have a long and proud tradition of obsoleting their own inventions... if done properly, it works very well. There is more to it than that.

The mismanagement of the brainpower at EK is a tragedy of modern American business. I feel bad for the current employees and all the many decades of brilliant people who contributed so many wonderful ideas and discoveries. Alas, I see a lot of this in Big Science in the US. It's very sad for someone like me who's just old enough to remember America at its peak and who thought I had a place in that.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin