Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,705   Online: 735

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Its looking like the industry quit the film business, not that users quit using film.They drove themselves to this point.Want to know why there are so many mini vans and SUVs blocking the highways? The car makers drove (no pun intended) the market as much if not more, than following it, through advertising.

This is like a car company that stopped production on a model because it was only selling 120,000 units a year with a gross revenue of over 2 billion because there was not enough money in it.
    Huh? Who's quit the film business now?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I hope that you realize that the film division at EK is doing well. If you abandon a working enterprise, you only push them into problems. So, do what you wish, but I hope you realize that you, and you alone are saying things that for the most part will end up furthering the woes at EK.

If your actions help "kill" Kodak, that just reduces the actors in the field by 1, and it will be a major player gone!

Good luck for the future.

PE
    I thought it would be our fault in the end.

After all, we're the customers...I have used Kodak films and papers (as my Dad and Grandad did since the 1940's), and have continued to buy as much as I needed and can afford up until now. These products have gradually been withdrawn from the market one-by-one....we're concerned by the loss of these, and we discuss what might be available from other manufacturers to replace them. And we're sad to see a great World company struggling.

Ah, well, there you go.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I absolutely must stop right here. My photo therapist is already going to be furious with me for posting about this. She successfully had me all the way down the list to that final step of resignation and acceptance regarding Kodak.

Now look what I've gone and done. Regressed. Fallen off the wagon. Caught with the needle in my arm.

She pleaded with me to stop trying to apply logic and common sense to the Kodak situation. She warned me that to continue to do so would only mean falling back into that endless hell of trying to reconcile statements like the above. And that meant more and more Kodak posts until my life was a living nightmare once again.

It no longer matters about Kodak, she said. It's OK. Let it go. Ilford is your friend, she told me over and over. Your very good friend. Go towards that light, Ken. Go...

I absolutely must stop right here..

Ken
    You're either in recovery or denial, Ken. You pick. Time to retox!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I was talking to the counter-person at my lab (ABC Photocolour) in Vancouver last week. We were talking about the revamp they were planning as a result of their coming move and new ownership. No worry there about reduction of analogue services but they were looking at updating their website, including and emphasizing more digital and hybrid services and "bundling" more services together.

We were talking about the idea of package prices for develop, proof and scans for 120 and 35mm (I hate scanning, but sometimes need both prints and scans). The ABC person said that it wouldn't work well for a lot of 120 work, because so much of what they were receiving originated on Holga or other toy cameras, and the customers preferred to be able to reject the majority of the shots in favour of the 1-3 that sort of worked out.

????
    I've seen this movie around Toronto and its title is "Desperation." With Epson V500-600 scanners going cheap, who'd sucker for a "package" if they're shooting regularly?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I see a lot of posts here which can be grouped in three distinct categories:
    • "We need a Wunderwaffe!" posts calling for some marketing genius who convinces the whole world to toss their iPhone cameras and use analog equipment for their dull party shots which they are never going to look at ever again anyway.
    • "If Kodak only followed my suggestion X they would be wading knee deep in cash" posts from people with no inside knowledge and particularly no inside knowledge of Kodaks current financial situation and business strategy.
    • "It's all lost anyway" posts claiming that financial troubles at Kodak clearly mean that we won't get any film for this Christmas season anymore. And definitely nobody is ever going to produce a film based camera anymore. Ever again.

Let's face the facts: A company like Kodak won't find a "Wunderwaffe" guy and we really neither can, need nor want to brainwash the rest of the world into choosing the photographic medium we happen to prefer for whatever reason. Despite claims to the opposite, quarterly reports of publicly traded companies are full of half truth and manipulation because no company can afford to tell its competition everything about its business. Film and suitable cameras will be produced and sold for many years to come because there are quite a few companies making it and making a decent profit with it - including Kodak (I trust PE on that).
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let's face the facts: A company like Kodak won't find a "Wunderwaffe" guy and we really neither can, need nor want to brainwash the rest of the world into choosing the photographic medium we happen to prefer for whatever reason. Despite claims to the opposite, quarterly reports of publicly traded companies are full of half truth and manipulation because no company can afford to tell its competition everything about its business. Film and suitable cameras will be produced and sold for many years to come because there are quite a few companies making it and making a decent profit with it - including Kodak (I trust PE on that).

Re: facts. Publicly traded companies have stockholders and government organizations regulate their disclosure practices. What you're saying might be best applied to privately-held companies. Ever hear of an SEC 10-K?

Film camera sales slid along with film. Who still makes film cameras on a scale comparable to ten years ago? Nikon makes 2 now. Ever bother to look at trend lines of film sales since 2000?

There's considerable difference between "Chicken Little" alarmism and realism. It's hard to be sanguine about the next several years and film production/availability/variety as we currently know it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Huh? Who's quit the film business now?
    Film camera sales slid along with film. Who still makes film cameras on a scale comparable to ten years ago? Nikon makes 2 now. Ever bother to look at trend lines of film sales since 2000?
    While sales dropped off, it didn't justify camera makers dropping out of the film market altogether.Try to find a F6 or FM10 in stock.
    Kodunk says oh lets stop making Kodachrome 64.

Between bone head manuevers of camera makers qutting the film camera biz and the great yellow father stopping production of film speeds and types they drove the industry to where it is now, THEY gave up on it.
    How many people would still be shooting film if the could buy a new 35mm slr,get their favorite film,get conveinent processing etc.
    The general public thinks film is dead now. They threw the market away.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Re: facts. Publicly traded companies have stockholders and government organizations regulate their disclosure practices. What you're saying might be best applied to privately-held companies. Ever hear of an SEC 10-K?

There's considerable difference between "Chicken Little" alarmism and realism. It's hard to be sanguine about the next several years and film production/availability/variety as we currently know it.
    Maybe Cosina, maybe Holga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many times do I have to say this?

KODACHROME DEMAND WAS NEXT TO ZERO. IT WAS SPOILING ON THE SHELVES. Kodak abandoned it when it could no longer sell it. And, this trend began in about 1990 with the upsurge of E6 processing and the higher quality!

Kodachrome was a round the clock operation in the early 90s, but fell off to one shift daily and then one day a week, then once a month and then once a year. Sales were terrible, in spite of ads. And yes, there were Kodachrome ads. I've posted one of the last futile Kodachrome efforts in the 90s.

Good luck guys trying to turn this one back on Kodak but it was you guys, and you guys alone.

PE

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Maybe Cosina, maybe Holga.
    Surely you're joking, right?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin