Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,025   Online: 888

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles;

You are actually putting forth one of the arguments used to develop the minilab. Better quality and faster turn around times.

And yes, Qualux did give high quality initially but went downhill from there. Just as many people, a company can be misled or harmed by a business partner, or the partner may have good intentions and may just slip. IDK, but what you say is true and still does not invalidate my comments.

PE

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    GCW - mid 90's?? Heck, I gave up on Kodachrome twenty years before that, and so did a lot of other
    serious shooters due to unreliable processing. Velvia didn't even exist then, and no E-6 film had anywhere near the neutrality orfine grain as Kodachrome. If you wanted to do it right, you shot sheet film anyway (I still do).

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    GCW - mid 90's?? Heck, I gave up on Kodachrome twenty years before that, and so did a lot of other
    serious shooters due to unreliable processing. Velvia didn't even exist then, and no E-6 film had anywhere near the neutrality orfine grain as Kodachrome. If you wanted to do it right, you shot sheet film anyway (I still do).
    Kodachrome sheet film was killed in the early 50s and 120 was available between '86-'96.
    Last edited by CGW; 10-17-2011 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Brilliant analysis. Kodak is almost certainly going to be forced by creditors into bankruptcy, in part to change management. Whether the subsequent breakup will mean the end of roll film production is a big question. Clearly the current folks are not capable of salvaging the film legacy as a biz. But some middle managers must be capable; the same guys who lobbied for Portra 160/400 to be a main, consolidated product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All kidding around aside Ron, I can't even imagine how sad and probably angry this situation must make you feel at times...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have no idea, Ken.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I vote APUG takes over the film/chemistry division and Ron runs it. I volunteer to start at the bottom and be trained.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have no idea, Ken.

PE
    It's so sad, R. Can't imagine what must be going through your mind.

Reading the blog entry you linked above just makes me mad that nobody can bring it to the table of completely shaking up management. Where is the board of directors? Were they all hand picked by Perez? How can they let this go on? It's completely unfathomable.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It happens easier than you might think. The huge, once highly respected company I work for (although still huge) spent about $20 billion in M&A and strategic "what in god's name are you thinking" blunders between 1998 and 2008. There was never any real shake up. The board is usually a rubber stamp, and made up mostly of snobs from fields entirely unrelated to the company's line of business. So what the hell do they know about strategy anyway?

Did Kodak actually do anything right in digital? I mean, when they set their minds to it they still make the best stuff, don't they? Why else would Leica put a (by all accounts superior) Kodak sensor in the M9?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin