Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,421   Online: 856

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    After reading the article above you would have to think that the original intention was to dismantle the company so let's believe it is corporate espionage, as that's the only thing that makes sense. I know people with only high school educations that are smarter and wouldn't make those mistakes; Their just dumb ass stupid.

I suppose next they'll sell the film division. Want to chip in?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my thoughts on what is going on behind the scenes, but I don't want to put it in writing. I think all of you are smart enough to puzzle it out.

And NO, I would never want to manage the film division at EK. I think Bob Shanebrook would though. He used to do that kind of thing! Read his book to get a perspective of the operation.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    A very interesting and apparently authoratative article. I wasn't aware of a lot of the deals and facts quoted.

The Kodak factory at Annesley, near Nottingham, was about 8 miles from where I live in the UK. It opening in 1992 and was awarded "Factory of the Year":-

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...CMP=ILC-SEARCH

It closed in 2004 and was ripped down...the news report said it yielded 2000 tons of scrap and 30,000 tons of rubble. And 350 people out of their jobs.

Every time I went on the main M1 Motorway, there were Kodak trucks to be seen going to and from the Harrow works with film to be finished at Annesley; I still have Ektachrome cartons printed "Film made in the UK, finished and packed at Annesley, Nottingham, England, by Kodak Ltd."

Oddly the Kodak website still seems to show the factory as working!

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/UK/en/corp/ma...0.1.4.16&lc=en

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The article said it celebrated its 25th anniversary. Are you sure it opened in 1992?

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The article said it celebrated its 25th anniversary. Are you sure it opened in 1992?

PE
    Sorry, I missed some words...I meant to say it opened in 1980, and in 1992 it was awarded "factory of the year". I think that the doors were finally closed and locked for the last time in autumn 2005, so it probably just made the 25th Anniversary.

I wasn't making any particular point, just historic interest...certainly 1980 was a time when the film and analog markets were at their height, whereas by 2005 I can fully accept that times really had changed and that a factory of that size had served its purpose. I know the Unions protested at the closure, but I think that the local authorities, etc., in the area understood and accepted the decision.

I remember that the original opening was greatly welcomed in the area as, at that time, the main staple industries around Nottingham were coal mining and textiles. These almost totally disappeared in the late 70's and early 80's, so there was a great amount of unemployment at that time.

I don't know if Harrow continued film coating, or took over the finishing and packing when Annesley closed; all films in recent years seem to have been labelled as Made in USA, with some also "finished and packed in Mexico".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Harrow, to my knowledge, is still coating Endura paper. That's it! They also finish and pack it.

My concern for the date was to show that Kodak did open this plant at a time when they were producing a lot of products and needed a lot of capacity. In fact, the article commented on the 65,000 employees WW which was actually low for the 80s. It was more like 120,000 then.

Well, the point being that Kodak did open it in a time of need and was kept in action until everything imploded. The plant had a lifetime of 25 years.

And, they helped the area recover for the time that they were in production there.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems that Kodak went from a photographic company that cared about its products, customers, and employees, to just another corporate entity that cared for little more than the bottom line. Their films have been my favorites, but I'll survive without them. Berrger and Efke, assuming they survive make OK films, preferable to Ilford's, IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    It seems that Kodak went from a photographic company that cared about its products, customers, and employees, to just another corporate entity that cared for little more than the bottom line. Their films have been my favorites, but I'll survive without them. Berrger and Efke, assuming they survive make OK films, preferable to Ilford's, IMHO.
    Bergger is not a manufacturer. They are a re-packager and have OEM films made for them by others. I believe that Ilford/Harman is one such OEM manufacturer for Bergger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have to stay positive. All film businesses need Kodak to be alive and kicking!
    The market might be small but it ain't going to evaporate just like that.
    PE and his colleagues all over the world should stay healthy and in good spirit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, the point being that Kodak did open it in a time of need and was kept in action until everything imploded. The plant had a lifetime of 25 years.

And, they helped the area recover for the time that they were in production there.

PE
    That is entirely true, the factory certainly gave employment at a time of need, and, although it has gone, the area has been redeveloped for smaller industry of various kinds. The need for the closure was largely accepted locally, and I think that even the Union resistance was something of a token gesture.

Interestingly, some lakes which were part of the landscaping still remain and are used for fishing....and know locally as the "Kodak Lakes".
    http://www.nottinghamanglers.co.uk/k...-annesley.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin