Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,652   Posts: 1,481,313   Online: 1019

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Hoffy, there is a boatload of new film cameras being made. You won't find them in Harvey Norman though
    Where are they? Other than craptastic Holgas, Dianas etc. and some pinhole models, there are maybe one or two 35mm SLRs, some disposable cameras still made I think and...what else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Where are they? Other than craptastic Holgas, Dianas etc. and some pinhole models, there are maybe one or two 35mm SLRs, some disposable cameras still made I think and...what else?
    Tomalophicon actually is right, to a degree. If do look into, there are new rangefinders and large formats out there. But, as for the mainstay of film being 35mm SLR's, they are very much lacking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But, with the Internet especially, if you're going to send it out it matters little whether it's across town or across the country, as long as you aren't in a hurry. If I were in a real hurry I would shoot digital, or black and white and run home and to the darkroom.
    I dunno, Roger...

Two Thursdays ago I dropped into Glazer's in Seattle and picked up three rolls of in-date 35mm Provia 400X for less than B&H asks online. Then two Saturdays ago I used two of those rolls at an airshow at Paine Field up in Everett.

The following Monday at exactly 5:00pm I mailed those two rolls to Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas, the old Kodachrome place. Exactly 43 hours later, at 12:00pm on the following Friday, the postman handed me my finished slides.

Tough to argue with that. Seattle is a long way from Parsons. I'm still not sure how Dwayne's even did it. I've got exposed b&w negatives awaiting my darkroom processing from a lot further back than 43 hours.

And for the record, the slides were neat, clean, and perfectly processed and mounted...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    There's a large list on this thread
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/9...till-made.html

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Tomalophicon may have stumbled upon a rare oasis of film availability but as a fellow Aussie I have seen very little evidence of widespread availability of these products. I live in a Qld town of about 13000 and I've just checked out the local supermarkets. We have both Coles (they carry no film) and Woolies have 5 single packs of Fuji Superia200/24 plus a few disposables. No pharmacy in town still keeps film. The one remaining minilab has Kodacolor 200 and 400 as well as disposables and a few rolls of that horrible C41 black & white film that Kodak currently makes. The minlab develops C41 one day a week. This is not a town in decline either - it has increased its population by 20% in the past 5 years.

I can think of only one outlet within 100km of me where I might be able to buy a roll of pro film such as Portra or any Ilford product and only about three places in the state capital Brisbane. Sad fact is almost nobody wants it anymore and that is not likely to change. I think we'll be able to buy B&W materials for a long time yet as long as we are prepared to pay the price but I equally think colour film is a goner. But, if things really become desperate, remember it must be a hell of a lot easier to coat B&W on the kitchen table than trying to make Kodachrome in the garden shed! OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a devoted 4x5 shooter I should have included the LF offerings, but those won't keep film alive if all you have are a few of us view camera nuts.

I use Dwaynes too but it usually takes a couple of WEEKS and I'm not much farther than you. I mailed some on Sunday so they went out on Monday morning, one package of 35mm E6 and one of 120 C41. I will try to remember to check in here when they arrive.

I don't mind the delay but many people with modern (i.e. short) attention spans often do.

I envy you in Seattle then. If there is comparable film availability in the Atlanta area I don't know where it is. I order ALL my film. I was used to this in the old days anyway as I lived in a small town and even in the 90s a good selection aside from 35mm C41 was hard to find so I was already used to ordering film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    How Kodak internally cost-shifts and subsidizes is referenced in analyst concerns.
    Look at quarterly reports over the past several years, and you will see that any profit was on the film side. Digital has been a consistent money loser.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Before the likes of Kodak came along and turned photography into a consumer led, mass produced industry, it was solely a DIY activity. I don't think it will ever go back that level but even if it did, that's not the end of photography - just a lot more work for those of us who want to continue!

Steve.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    I think Tomalophicon may have stumbled upon a rare oasis of film availability but as a fellow Aussie I have seen very little evidence of widespread availability of these products. I live in a Qld town of about 13000 and I've just checked out the local supermarkets. We have both Coles (they carry no film) and Woolies have 5 single packs of Fuji Superia200/24 plus a few disposables. No pharmacy in town still keeps film. The one remaining minilab has Kodacolor 200 and 400 as well as disposables and a few rolls of that horrible C41 black & white film that Kodak currently makes. The minlab develops C41 one day a week. This is not a town in decline either - it has increased its population by 20% in the past 5 years.

I can think of only one outlet within 100km of me where I might be able to buy a roll of pro film such as Portra or any Ilford product and only about three places in the state capital Brisbane. Sad fact is almost nobody wants it anymore and that is not likely to change. I think we'll be able to buy B&W materials for a long time yet as long as we are prepared to pay the price but I equally think colour film is a goner. But, if things really become desperate, remember it must be a hell of a lot easier to coat B&W on the kitchen table than trying to make Kodachrome in the garden shed! OzJohn
    That's unfortunate for you. Maybe your supermarkets have die-hard digital store managers.

I have k-mart, Big-W, Coles, Woolies and all of them sell a respectable offering of film and disposables. The population is around 25,000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Dwaynes too but it usually takes a couple of WEEKS and I'm not much farther than you. I mailed some on Sunday so they went out on Monday morning, one package of 35mm E6 and one of 120 C41. I will try to remember to check in here when they arrive.

I don't mind the delay but many people with modern (i.e. short) attention spans often do.
    I processed film long ago but stopped when labs got so convenient. While labs around here offered same day service, even same hour or same morning I didn't bother developing anything myself, I just dropped the film off before work or at lunch and picked it up at lunch or after work, sometimes shooting another roll before I went there so I was often picking up and dropping off at the same time, usually something every day and always something a few times a week. For most things, their print services were good enough too if I didn't mind cropping after the fact.

But a few years ago it went from hourly and same day to perhaps the next day, then perhaps the next week and the quality went downhill too (chemicals not being replenished as often I suspect). So I did what I hadn't done for decades: I went back to developing it myself. Now I have results drying in less than half an hour for film or prints and I have full control again. Makes me wonder why I ever used labs but they sure are convenient and let you have more time for everything else.

I can process films for under a dollar a roll myself so it is way cheaper until I factor in my own time which is 'free' of course but there are other things I could be doing.

I never liked mail away which is why I was (boo, hiss) always more of an E6 fan than K14. Nothing like one hour slide service! Once E6 went to send away I stopped shooting slides. Now I prefer negatives anyways as they're easier to print (no one wants to see my slide shows anymore).
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin