Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,221   Online: 866

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    I think Tomalophicon may have stumbled upon a rare oasis of film availability but as a fellow Aussie I have seen very little evidence of widespread availability of these products. I live in a Qld town of about 13000 and I've just checked out the local supermarkets. We have both Coles (they carry no film) and Woolies have 5 single packs of Fuji Superia200/24 plus a few disposables. No pharmacy in town still keeps film. The one remaining minilab has Kodacolor 200 and 400 as well as disposables and a few rolls of that horrible C41 black & white film that Kodak currently makes. The minlab develops C41 one day a week. This is not a town in decline either - it has increased its population by 20% in the past 5 years.

I can think of only one outlet within 100km of me where I might be able to buy a roll of pro film such as Portra or any Ilford product and only about three places in the state capital Brisbane. Sad fact is almost nobody wants it anymore and that is not likely to change. I think we'll be able to buy B&W materials for a long time yet as long as we are prepared to pay the price but I equally think colour film is a goner. But, if things really become desperate, remember it must be a hell of a lot easier to coat B&W on the kitchen table than trying to make Kodachrome in the garden shed! OzJohn
    There are several shops in cairns doing film processing, most corner stores sell E-6, and several Cairns cruise ships do on board E-6 processing last I checked.

You find things in the strangest places.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Toronto isn't anything like Australian towns or cities in that regard. From where I stand, film is very much alive and well.
    I visited 3 towns with populations under 4000 over the last fortnight and was able to buy Portra 160 and Ektar in 120 in one town, Tri-x in 35mm in the next, and have 3 rolls of the colour rollfilm processed in under an hour (for 5 bucks a roll) at the next town.
    Almost every supermarket sells 3 kinds of consumer film and I have never seen any that is out of date.

I have however, only seen E6 processing available in the larger cities.
    That's nice. Just keep in mind market sizes. Australia's pop. is smaller than Canada's(just under 22million-vs-a bit less than 34million). California's alone is bigger than both at almost 37million. The N. American market isn't obviously film-friendly if you look over comments here. Enjoy it while you can.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Moscow and Kyiv have excellent film availability. I bought Neopan 1600 in Kyiv this month in a small shop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Moscow and Kyiv have excellent film availability. I bought Neopan 1600 in Kyiv this month in a small shop.
    But it is now out of production due to low sales.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    maybe this is a big scare to get us film nuts to go out and buy film and chemistry
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    maybe this is a big scare to get us film nuts to go out and buy film and chemistry
    True! The worst case if Kodak does go out of business there are other film companies still around.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    True! The worst case if Kodak does go out of business there are other film companies still around.

Jeff
    I see it more as a glass half empty on this one. I mean, choices already suck at this point so Kodak going out just can't be that good. For me, the loss of Tri-X, TMX, TMY and TMZ is a big loss. Someone else MAY fill their shoes for those but nobody can tell me that availability and quality control will ever be as good as with Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I see it more as a glass half empty on this one. I mean, choices already suck at this point so Kodak going out just can't be that good. For me, the loss of Tri-X, TMX, TMY and TMZ is a big loss. Someone else MAY fill their shoes for those but nobody can tell me that availability and quality control will ever be as good as with Kodak.
    Those are all good films, but not SO good that I couldn't just move to HP5, Delta 100, Delta 400 and Delta 3200 and not miss a beat.

I'd miss Tri-X in Diafine and end up using Delta 3200 in light where I now use that sine HP5 doesn't respond as well speed wise. I'd miss TMY-2 in 4x5 sheets unless and until Ilford made Delta 400 in sheets again, which I bet would be a real possibility if TMY-2 went away, but even so grain isn't much of a concern in 4x5 so I could happily go to HP5 for a 400 film and Acros for a 100, very low reciprocity failure film.

Color is really where the demise of Kodak would bite us.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    And you think we have limited choice?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin