Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,529   Posts: 1,543,959   Online: 1059

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    That's unfortunate for you. Maybe your supermarkets have die-hard digital store managers.

I have k-mart, Big-W, Coles, Woolies and all of them sell a respectable offering of film and disposables. The population is around 25,000.

There was plenty of Fuji film (C-41 and E6) in many stores I passed through on my recent around Australia journey, though not in the format I was seeking. But some quirks are noteworthy: Darwin had a very small mini-lab with a lot of Ilford B&W film and papers in it; Kunanurra / WA, had Fujifilm disposables and boxed film being sold in a toy shop, above which was RetraVision (and all goods bought in RetraVision were paid for in the toy shop! ); Besides bog-standard everyday throwaways and waterproof Fuji trinkets, Broome amazingly had no film at all — entirely sold out to pearls and digis! Downwind, Perth, the biggest store I called into at Murray Street Mall, had heaps and heaps of Fuji in fridges, but not a skerrick of anything Kodak or Ilford.

Like somebody said earlier, if Kodak does go out of business there are other film companies still around. The big question is we do not know for sure just how long we have, so get busy.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Ilford's films, and products in general, are of the same quality caliber as Kodak. They are top of the line. In large format, Ilford and Kodak films are reasonably interchangeable, though of course not identical. They don't look exactly the same, and respond differently to exposure/development controls.

However personally I need both Kodak and Ilford. For example in 35mm B&W, there is currently no substitute for TMAX100 for extremely fine grain. It is very visibly finer grained than both Delta 100 and Pan F+, although gradation is quite similar to Delta 100. The same can be said of TMY-2 in comparison to Delta 400. Acros comes close to TMAX100 graininess, but has a different characteristic curve, particularly when it comes to highlight contrast.

Bottom line is I love both Kodak and Ilford products and use them both, but there are enough differences that if either of these companies went away I'd be in some trouble, and it would really suck. I want Dektol for my Ilford paper. I want Perceptol for my (35mm) TMX. Etc. I really hope Kodak can continue to make its excellent products.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Fuji and Ilford should go halvies in buying Kodak's film division; Ilford could run the black and white department, and Fuji could run the colour department. Problem solved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Humm. I pretty much only shoot 35mm black and white in very low light. If I have more light I shoot black and white in 120 anyway. Grain isn't that important, but I recognize it is to other people.

I intensely hate Dektol and it's "spoils in hours at working strength" character and haven't used it since I discovered LPD in the late 80s or early 90s. But even if I did like it, I found Bromophen looks similar, but slightly better, and dies about as quickly. Relatively simple things like print developers can be compounded yourself if you must have something not readily available pre-mixed, and there's sufficient choices already made up that I can't imagine missing any one too severely. Well, ok, I would miss LPD but I could get by without it, with only some grumbling and no impact to my images. I might spend a few dollars more because it lasts so long.

But if you want Dektol it's available by either mixing your own or buying Legacy Pro:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/741715...lon?cat_id=301

Perceptol is essentially the old Kodak Microdol-X and if you want it without the Ilford name you can get that too:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/749710...lon?cat_id=301

The films I concede are different enough that some would miss them. Black and white chemicals are simple enough anything you can't buy under another name you can probably mix up yourself easily enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Fuji and Ilford should go halvies in buying Kodak's film division; Ilford could run the black and white department, and Fuji could run the colour department. Problem solved.
    Doesn't that require the balance sheet make sense before they make the purchases?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or they could accept it as a gift!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    I am only wondering. Is it bad financial management or is it just the fact that film is dying?
    What I mean is that Kodak has many digital products and so they must be doing something wrong. I don’t think they are having financial difficulties just because film market is shrinking. They could have profits from the digital market and they could charge the film so that they have a benefit. Unless they production of the new films is so expensive which I highly doubt. I hope film will still be produced, and not just any film. The new Portra 400 is amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Humm. I pretty much only shoot 35mm black and white in very low light. If I have more light I shoot black and white in 120 anyway. Grain isn't that important, but I recognize it is to other people.

I intensely hate Dektol and it's "spoils in hours at working strength" character and haven't used it since I discovered LPD in the late 80s or early 90s. But even if I did like it, I found Bromophen looks similar, but slightly better, and dies about as quickly. Relatively simple things like print developers can be compounded yourself if you must have something not readily available pre-mixed, and there's sufficient choices already made up that I can't imagine missing any one too severely. Well, ok, I would miss LPD but I could get by without it, with only some grumbling and no impact to my images. I might spend a few dollars more because it lasts so long.

But if you want Dektol it's available by either mixing your own or buying Legacy Pro:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/741715...lon?cat_id=301

Perceptol is essentially the old Kodak Microdol-X and if you want it without the Ilford name you can get that too:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/749710...lon?cat_id=301

The films I concede are different enough that some would miss them. Black and white chemicals are simple enough anything you can't buy under another name you can probably mix up yourself easily enough.
    Fair points but I'm not a home brew/scratch mix guy. Also I doubt legacy pro- Mic-X is Microdol-X. It's probably something similar (ie metol-sulfite plus sodium chloride and perhaps some borax). I don't think Perceptol has any accelerator. It has taken years of testing and practice with the materials I use and basically I don't want to change. It's a pain. I want my Kodak and Ilford!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find Bromophen actually lasts quite well, better than Multigrade for sure.

I'd like both too but today if I had to choose between Kodak and Ilford I'd choose Ilford obviously as they offer a complete B&W solution to me while Kodak just offers film and chems. Fuji has instant film, color film and cut color paper so if I could only have 2/3 companies then perhaps Ilford and Fuji, much as I'd miss T-Max and Portra...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin