Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,453   Online: 710

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa or Rollei films are still around with a large variety of b&w films, besides Ilford, efke ....
    I just hope that Fuji continues with colored slide films. They (cosina) produce MF rangefinders, which only makes sense if they also produce film!
    If they would stop, I hope somebody else would take over the business, probably at a smaller scale. Ilford first vanished and then reappeared....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know - for all the angst and hand wringing we have been having here - when I talked to Keith Canham about a special film order just yesterday he reports that the best he can tell is that it is business as usual at Kodak.

Granted Keith isn't exactly on the board of directors at Kodak, but he talks to folks who would "be worried about their jobs" level several times a month.

Some years ago when I did a lot of work for Fuji I was in the same place. When Fuji was expanding or contracting I couldn't get explicit details, but it was easy to gather that people were bright and optimistic or foul and worried. You didn't have to be a psychiatrist to figure it out.

I can assure you that if looked like a sinking ship from the inside people would be fleeing in droves. Apparently that isn't happening. Not saying that they aren't polishing their resume just in case. But according to Keith there isn't any apparent internal panic.

So lets put just a little positive spin in this mix.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format

That's a financial woe for Kodak!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I can assure you that if looked like a sinking ship from the inside people would be fleeing in droves.
    Fleeing? Fleeing to where? The unemployment rate is 9.1% not even counting those who have just given up looking for work.

I agree with staying (realistically) optimistic, in part because pessimism saps energy, but mostly because I have no educated reason to have an opinion on Kodak's true financial state. I have no street cred, no scuttlebutt and no massive holdings of EK shares that would make me privy to insider dumping or that have me receiving midnight phone calls from Kodak board members asking for my advice.

But I think it's safe to say if I'm going to keep buying Kodak film (and I bought 50 rolls of Tri-X and a bunch of D-76 just this week), it's going to be from a Kodak that looks quite a bit different from the Kodak I see today. I don't know what to think of that. I'm practical enough to say it's over when it's over and move to a different film but I'm human too and I've grown up with that red and yellow sign and those yellow boxes and the smell of those 'chromes. I remember learning to load my mom's Kodak Brownie and all that stuff that comes with branding. Perhaps a little irrationality is allowable here, even before there's legitimate reason for sadness.

Staying optimistic, for purely selfish reasons,

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Fair points but I'm not a home brew/scratch mix guy. Also I doubt legacy pro- Mic-X is Microdol-X. It's probably something similar (ie metol-sulfite plus sodium chloride and perhaps some borax). I don't think Perceptol has any accelerator. It has taken years of testing and practice with the materials I use and basically I don't want to change. It's a pain. I want my Kodak and Ilford!
    Well, fair enough I suppose. But for print developers there just isn't that much difference in my experience. I could even toss my LPD and my prints and their viewers would never know the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I find Bromophen actually lasts quite well, better than Multigrade for sure.

I'd like both too but today if I had to choose between Kodak and Ilford I'd choose Ilford obviously as they offer a complete B&W solution to me while Kodak just offers film and chems. Fuji has instant film, color film and cut color paper so if I could only have 2/3 companies then perhaps Ilford and Fuji, much as I'd miss T-Max and Portra...
    It's been decades, well more than one decade anyway, since I tried Bromophen so I'll defer to that. Memory is a slippery thing sometimes.

I agree though, if I had to lose one I'd rather lose Kodak than Ilford, at least as long as the discussion is confined to black and white.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not going to lose Kodak, there is too much money to be made from film,paper, etc sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lensworker View Post
    I was extremely discouraged to hear that Kodak appears to be on its last legs financially and may not survive as a company.

It was bad enough when Kodak ditched Tech Pan - and it was a tragedy when Kodachrome fell by the wayside. Now Tri-X and the entire Kodak product line of film, chemicals and paper appears to be in peril of extinction, along with the entire Kodak company.

How Kodak could go from a worth of $30 billion to today's estimate of $200 million is simply incomprehensible. Not all of that can be blamed on the advent of digital, it would seem. In a world where new emulsions are hitting the market and large format sheet film can still be found in a reasonable variety of sizes and emulsions, how is it possible that Tri-X is in danger of disappearing??

I'm just wondering what others who shoot Tri-X are going to do for film if Tri-X goes extinct.
    Over to HP-5 in a heartbeat! I confess that Tri-X has been a favorite since time immemorial (it was the film we shot way back when in my student days), but, at least in part, much of the reason for the film's popularity had to be the availability of EK films. They were everywhere back in the day! I made the switch to Pan-F Plus and FP-4 as my medium format films of choice several years ago; adding HP-5 for my Leica food will be no great sacrifice...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way the whole World's economy s are going on a downward spiral at the moment and no individuals or governments seem powerless to do anything about it is much more worrying to me than the state of Kodak's financial situation, because if it carry s on there will be many thousands of big companys going the same way.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Not going to lose Kodak, there is too much money to be made from film,paper, etc sales.
    I hope you are right - I'd hate for Tri-X to become extinct.

A couple of years back, I attended a workshop taught by a well known Magnum photographer. I asked him what he regarded as the best B&W film for street & documentary photography. His reply was "Kodak Tri-X is the best B&W film of all time."

Given the undoubted millions of images this gent has made in his 60+ years of making photographs, his Magnum membership and the books he's had published, his evaluation of Tri-X made an impression on me.

I've been shooting Tri-X ever since and have yet to regret that choice.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin