Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,300   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    It's just I don't understand why people buy this junk. Is a roll of Kodak film really so expensive? Is it really worth saving a few dollars on things like this? I don't get it.
    Just thinking long term options.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my case it was the only available option for c-41 film in our small town in the Philippines. The capital was a 3-hour drive and I rarely went there. And I was the only one still buying film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I dont know you but I dont like Lucky name , it reminds me horse races. Lucky Company looks like old timer , still in business for 60 years and with 7300 workers. Market value 3X of 19000 Kodak. May be 10 years ago , if Kodak invested in China more , there would be few factories at hand after US collapse.
    IMHO , US is geographically vast and its not economical to serve few photographers there , other few photographers there. If monthly salary at Kodak is 3000 dollars , it makes 57 million per payment/month.
    Its 1/4 of its market value. Its a miracle if this company could live with these payments and taxes , costs and market value.
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    could it be ...
    lucky and ilford will be the last ones standing ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC, the Lucky films of today are roughly based on Kodak formulas from the 80s. I suggest those who like them make a side-by-side comparison and then decide.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    It's just I don't understand why people buy this junk. Is a roll of Kodak film really so expensive? Is it really worth saving a few dollars on things like this? I don't get it.
    Maybe because you are LOOKING for more muted color and don't care about the grain? Or some people like grain for some things.

I've been pondering how I could get a less saturated, pastel look in a totally a analog workflow myself. I've been tracking some Agfa Portrait 160 on eBay. I wouldn't shoot something like that for general use but it could be just the thing for some purposes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing about Chinese film is when you shoot a roll you'll want to shoot another roll and an hour later.

The link says "particlarly in developing countries".I have read that consumer spending on non essential items gets going at an income of about $3,000 pa.A lot of people are beginning to pass this level.
    IDK if they are future film users,not many post here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lucky bw film are alright as long as you don't buy the even cheaper reload stuff. You will love it especially if you like saran wraps.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No comment.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin