Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,812   Online: 716

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where does one find Lucky color film? Or is it only available in "developing countries?" A look on eBay turned up lots of 120 black and white but no color (or "colour" - searched both spellings.)

And no, I'm not crazy, and have Portra and E100G and E100SW in the freezer. Just curious about experimenting with something grainy and more pastel looking for some subjects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Where does one find Lucky color film? Or is it only available in "developing countries?" A look on eBay turned up lots of 120 black and white but no color (or "colour" - searched both spellings.)

And no, I'm not crazy, and have Portra and E100G and E100SW in the freezer. Just curious about experimenting with something grainy and more pastel looking for some subjects.
    They sell them at dollar stores in LA. And from what I heard, call up http://99only.com/ , they might have some too.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael it's easy to badmouth lucky film but I sometimes prefer the look I get with Lucky's B&W Films to the more perfect offering from Ilford or Kodak. In fact it's one of the most beautiful portraits Film I know and I personaly don't use it as substitute for Ilford and Kodak Film but along with them. Choosing a Film is like choosing a paintbrush every film creates a different stroke and has it's uses.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think i like it those mud pastel colors, i give a try.

Shooter
    35mm
    Lucky was bad for me but a cheap film I loved was Mitsubishi. Made in Japan on the label and colours after the scan made me think Fuji.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    One thing about Chinese film is when you shoot a roll you'll want to shoot another roll and an hour later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    It's just I don't understand why people buy this junk. Is a roll of Kodak film really so expensive? Is it really worth saving a few dollars on things like this? I don't get it.
    What intrigues me is that people will happily part with thousands for the best lenses but quibble at the price of quality film.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974
    One thing about Chinese film is when you shoot a roll you'll want to shoot another roll and an hour later.
    I just laughed out loud on the bus on the way to work when I read this. People are looking at me funny. Hilarious.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In such transitional times, one should be grateful for ANY film on the market.
    Personally, I haven't shot Lucky or Shanghai, whatever .. but I have started decades ago with very cheap films think ORWO, Svema, Tasma etc, so, I would say that there is no bad film. Good cameras and good films and papers etc doesn't help create outstanding art. In fact, the facts are that the more advanced and technological the tools are, the more crappiest the art is.

If most photographers are as good as cheap films.., there might have been a lot more sense for film popularity.
    So, the question is:
    How good are You under pressure?
    How good are You when Your favorite Kodak and such are threatened?

What is more important for You?
    mediocre dumb, B&W shot on Kodak film
    or
    soul uplifting, spectacular shot on Lucky or else film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for this. Warmed the cockles of my heart.

I like the low-fi look for 35mm since I don't expect much from the format anyhow (just my prerogative, not a judgement on the amazing photographers that use it), and it's so damn cheap, why not!?
    K.S. Klain

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin