Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,247   Online: 1043

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    This is a bit of an aside but I've asked elsewhere without, so far, an answer, so I'll ask you: How does Shanghai compare for reciprocity failure, delicateness of the emulsion and quality control with Foma? The prices are about the same and those seem the main problems with Foma.

And no, I don't really care about cheaper. I can afford to shoot as much Kodak or Fuji or Ilford black and white film as my available time permits as it's my time that's more limited. But it's nice to have choices.

I haven't used it much in reciprocity situations, but when I have it holds up really well in it's own right. It also very strangely pushes without dropping shadow detail, too far and you get weird marks in the picture though.

It's a really enjoyable. Fomapan has done nothing but irritate me, however I wish to try Fomapan 400, it has a really high far red peak sensitivity with almost a straight line drop off.

Similar to Delta 400, but more extreme, and with lowered blue sensitivity.

Here's a chart I rigged up with some films for comparison of spectral sensitivity distribution. Fomapan 400 is about as opposite to Tri-X as you could get. While Plus-X has a steep drop off at the blue section.. it's about the same as a reverse of Fomapan 400 sensitivity.

Spectral Sensitivity Comparison by athiril, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan;

I would be interested in how you got this graph on an equal energy basis. They are not easy to do unless you have a spectrosensitometer.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lucky B&W film is unique in the market, and based on this news I'm considering buying up a couple bricks. You'll notice when you develop lucky B&W roll film that the presoak is clear. There is no antihalation coating on the film. This means that strong highlights tend to bloom which I think it neat. It's sort of old-time dreamy looking. On the down side it's pretty low contrast. First time I ever reached for the 5 filter was on a Lucky frame. FWIW a completely different company makes Lucky enlargers. I have one but don't use it much anymore. Part of me wants to print some lucky film on the lucky enlarger!
    One of my Lucky film shots:

-edit-
    @3.49/roll for a 10 roll brick on ebay shipped, it's the same price as Fuji Neopan Acros before shipping. So it's not the awesome deal it once was (I got 20 rolls expired that I'm still working on for just under $2/roll).
    Last edited by jmxphoto; 10-08-2011 at 06:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The absence of colorisation of processing baths does not necessarily mean that there is no anti-halation layer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Correct. I believe it's sensitizing dyes, not anti halation, that cause the color change in the developer or pre-soak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could be acutance dyes or trimmer dyes in the coating.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Dan;

I would be interested in how you got this graph on an equal energy basis. They are not easy to do unless you have a spectrosensitometer.

PE
    I just normalised the highest peak sensitivity to 1.

They're comparable to their peak sensitivity of 1. It's a relative value and not an absolute value.

It allows comparison of spectral sensitivity distribution.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not necessarily for graphs made by means of wedge spectrometers...

Shooter
    35mm
    In reply to a earlier query raised in this thread, the Lucky B&W film is not the same as Shanghai GP3. They are entirely different films made by different manufacturers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Lucky 100 was some of the first BW film I shot on. Stuff was interesting and I got some good shots with it. I'd buy it again.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin