Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,163   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember a professor telling me that film would be gone in 5-10 years. That was 1997. It's been about two years since I've seen a real camera at work (nightmare on elm street). I do mostly tv though. It's a bummer, the atmosphere on set isn't the same. We've lowered our standards and the public doesn't know the difference between home videos and film.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The subtitle of the article reads: "Major manufacturers have ceased production of new motion picture film cameras. Cinema as we once knew it is dead."

However they quote the founder of Aaton as stating "Why buy a new one [film movie camera] when there are so many used cameras around the world?"

I don't see the connection.

Also, from the Bolex site: "Today in 2011, BOLEX INTERNATIONAL SA in Switzerland continues to manufacture the legendary 16mm and SUPER 16 film cameras"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    We've lowered our standards and the public doesn't know the difference between home videos and film.
    Among other things I'd blame that on y**tube and the lowest of the lowest quality that is fed to the millions there.
    My portfolio (film mostly):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsts/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The subtitle of the article reads: "Major manufacturers have ceased production of new motion picture film cameras. Cinema as we once knew it is dead."

However they quote the founder of Aaton as stating "Why buy a new one [film movie camera] when there are so many used cameras around the world?"

I don't see the connection.

Also, from the Bolex site: "Today in 2011, BOLEX INTERNATIONAL SA in Switzerland continues to manufacture the legendary 16mm and SUPER 16 film cameras"
    If you read the whole article the perspective is more nuanced. Film is simply fading to obscurity because intermediary steps along the way from shooting to viewing are forced into digital for reasons of cost. Also, digital is about to catch-up to film aesthetically, or at least mimic film entirely. It's not quite there yet to the discerning eye, but most viewers don't discern.

This is turning from an aesthetic issue into a financial issue. Entropy and depreciation will eat away at the installed camera base. As fewer film cameras are used less film will be needed. Less demand = higher costs both for manufacturing the film and processing it. Same for any new film cameras.

The burning question is: Will there be enough demand, and stabilized demand, including a continuous supply of cinema and photographic film cameras, to keep Kodak and Fuji analog film services operational? Investors and creditors will not put new money into declining demand sectors. So before all demand dries up from consumers or professionals, the money may dry up first, and the market capitulates. These are unforgiving times.

Kodak and film require a saviour like the fellow who rallied Leica. Someone with deep pockets and the skill necessary to consolidate, rationalize, and re-introduce the product. Film cannot compete with digital, so it needs to claims its own space. There's a lot of marketing power in nostalgia.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's been about two years since I've seen a real camera at work (nightmare on elm street). I do mostly tv though.
    This has a lot to do with the labor negotiations 2-3 years ago. There are different unions covering film work and video work. When the video union signed a contract and the film people held out for a better deal, production companies saw that a lot of money in labor costs could be saved switching their productions to video. There was an almost overnight switch as you describe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, if that is the case, then what about The Digital Dilemma - http://www.oscars.org/science-techno...igitaldilemma/
    Here is the link to the pdf (in case You don't wanna reg on the OSCARS website to get it) http://www.artmob.ca/files/pdf-stc_digital_dilemma.pdf
    Also, in the recent months Kodak seems pretty active on their Youtube channel, blasting videos and stuff..
    ..and this, from last year http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...talDilemma.pdf

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    So, if that is the case, then what about The Digital Dilemma - http://www.oscars.org/science-techno...igitaldilemma/
    Here is the link to the pdf (in case You don't wanna reg on the OSCARS website to get it) http://www.artmob.ca/files/pdf-stc_digital_dilemma.pdf
    Also, in the recent months Kodak seems pretty active on their Youtube channel, blasting videos and stuff..
    ..and this, from last year http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...talDilemma.pdf
    The "digital dilemma" is not going to be solved by Kodak film. It will be solved, or rather, ameliorated, by digital means as opposed to photochemical and mechanical means. Many analog film reels decayed due to lack of adequate and costly storage. Frankly, the biggest threat to digital archiving is copyright. The mentality is still "vault" rather than "

I like Kodak's thrust about the positive side of film, and its economics. But Kodak does not make cameras. Nor do they own the motion picture screens in movie houses. Kodak ironically hastened the advance of digital steep in film processing to cinema with Digital ICE technology.

I think the fact that film has fallen off a cliff was inevitable, but in cultural industries we like to be romantics and always envision a soft landing buyer by dedicated enthusiasts and hobby industries. Sadly, there may not be enough demand for fill in photography or motion pictures to sustain any industrial roll or canister film manufacturing. There's a terrible inertia at work here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aristophanes,
    film decays, if its not coated on polyester base (or stored in extreme conditions).
    Have some faith!

The big players like Kodak, Agfa, Fuji are still playing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We've lowered our standards and the public doesn't know the difference between home videos and film.
    I notice a lot. I see compression artifacts even in "Hi-Def" images. I see banding and "mosquito clouds." I see macroblocking and halos and I hear distortion in the sound.

The upshot is that I just don't watch TV very much, anymore.

Then, again, I get mad at myself when I splice a movie together and I can see the splices on the screen.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin