Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,296   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    If Kodak's patents are worth so much, why isn't Kodak using them to make profitable product rather than selling or licencing them?

Kodak has the advantage that it doesn't need to pay for these patented ideas.

Steve.
    The laser projection technology is developed by Kodak within 2 years. When Kodak announced the technology 2 years ago, it is intended to be licensed to other manufacturer and Kodak had announced clearly that it will not manufacture any digital projector using this technology.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Sadly, that's very true....

"The cash will be used for general corporate purposes, said Gerard Meuchner, a spokesman for Eastman Kodak".....basically the sale of a capital asset to meet revenue deficits. Not a good long term answer...it's a bit like selling the family silver to pay this week's food bill.
    Kodak planned to announce this news on Oct 17 but however, it was leaked to media on Oct 16, I guess it may be by IMAX.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is the detail of Kodak Laser Projection technology announced early this year:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...logy/index.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One thing's for sure. They will end up something different than today.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    I have seen quite a few companies go under in the last 20 years, and the clearest sign of terminal tail spin is a big press release for marginal success stories. A company burning almost 1 billion touting a sale of 10 million would certainly fall into this category. Especially if this sale cuts into some other market for that company
    It's a typical, normal press release. Just like all the ones here:

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/News_M...s_Releases.htm

Not a sign of trouble. Not that they aren't in trouble, but this isn't an indicator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Sadly, that's very true....

"...it's a bit like selling the family silver to pay this week's food bill.
    It's not at all like that. It's licensing technology over ten years.

They are making some money from an asset. Not enough for financial stability on this one deal, but it's still $10M. Complain about EK's past business decisions, sure, but this is not something to have an issue with today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    IMAX Digital is in no way similar to the traditional 15 perf 70mm film version. The resolution is apparently only slightly better than standard 2K digital cinema, and the screen size is dramatically smaller.

Tom
    From what I gathered, large projection size is a main benefit of the Kodak technology.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    It's not at all like that. It's licensing technology over ten years.

They are making some money from an asset. Not enough for financial stability on this one deal, but it's still $10M. Complain about EK's past business decisions, sure, but this is not something to have an issue with today.
    You deleted the main part of my posting from your quotation. I included this: "The cash will be used for general corporate purposes, said Gerard Meuchner, a spokesman for Eastman Kodak". (Not clear if that includes the 10 years of licensing income?) To me, this doesn't say that profits will be enhanced, new products developed, stockholders or employees benefitted or the financial problems solved, and it could be that it just all disappears into a huge hole. My views don't matter a toss to anyone, of course, but if the banks, creditors and bond-holders think the same, it will matter.

I don't have any issue with this business decision, or, indeed, any better suggestions. It was a normal press release of a standard business transaction, not a miracle. I was just speculating, once the family silver is sold to pay this week's food bill, where does the money come from to pay next week's bill? OK, if licensed out for 10 years, this particular asset is still there...but it can't be licensed a second time during that 10 years, and, at the end of that time, it will likely be obsolete unless there is continued (expensive) R&D.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 10-17-2011 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin