Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,612   Online: 1173

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Blackstone buys 44% of Leica shares

The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WTF?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Blackstone smells cash, that's all. Leica is a well run company, making great products and the right decisions..so far anyway. Maybe they will ramp up production of lenses just a little bit to eliminate some of the supply/demand issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Blackstone smells cash, that's all. Leica is a well run company, making great products and the right decisions..so far anyway. Maybe they will ramp up production of lenses just a little bit to eliminate some of the supply/demand issues.
    I think one of their only stated goals was to help expand the brand in the Asia-Pacific region - one would think they surely know Leica there already...?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by corposant View Post
    I think one of their only stated goals was to help expand the brand in the Asia-Pacific region - one would think they surely know Leica there already...?
    They undoubtedly do, and that is no doubt part of the logic behind what could prove a good investment. There's a vast amount of new money about in China and other Asian countries, together with a desire for Western consumer products, particularly top-end brands.

Seems a sound proposal from both sides, and nothing more than a normal business decision.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    There's a vast amount of new money about in China...
    I don't ascribe to "The sky is falling" prophets, financial or otherwise, but I'll look at just about anything somebody says about money. Here's one guy (not an endorsement here, at all, but he links to data) that's not so hot on China:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...from-mike.html

s-a

"Making money in the stock market is easy. Buy some stock and when it goes up sell it. If it doesn't go up don't buy it."

-Will Rodgers

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I don't ascribe to "The sky is falling" prophets, financial or otherwise, but I'll look at just about anything somebody says about money. Here's one guy (not an endorsement here, at all, but he links to data) that's not so hot on China:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...from-mike.html

s-a
    I wasn't intending to enter into a discussion of the reasons for, or ethics of, increased demand and consumption in the Far East, but current data shows that there is are substantial and growing exports of expensive Western luxury and brand-name products to places like China and Russia. And the name "Leica" fits both these catagories very nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a gander at the threads on RFF and the Leica forum (L-forum) for a lot more on this.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like the death of the M line and the S line will be stripped down to compete with the Canon and Nikons, or the S may survive to compete with the Hassy and Mamiyas; as it does now. But I think there is much more $$$ to put out a D3X competition in the same price point. Investors want returns ASAP. Makes me ill to think about a micro four thirds becoming the new M camera.

I'm a lover of Leicas but also know it struggles a bit from time to time and would not sell 44% if it were cash flushed and running well.

Hopefully my doom and gloom attitude is completely wrong, and Leica stays elite and continues to make superior equipment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't worry, in a few months they'll have a passing conversation with a savvy investor who'll show them some 4x5 chromes he produced with his rickety Tech III. They'll immediatley realize they've overpaid and underperformed. Isn't that what owning a Leica is all about? ;J Sorry Leicaphiles, I couldn't resist.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin