Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,235   Online: 859
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    MaximusM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    756
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    The ship hit an iceberg. It wasn't a design fault or poor metallurgy, it hit a an iceberg.It was not designed as an icebreaker.

    Kodunk sunk because of poor investment choices in markets they had no business venturing into.They also fell into an old trap and stopped advertising the virtues of film photography.

    The Parable of the Hot Dog

    There was man who lived by the side of the road and he sold Hot Dogs. He was hard of hearing so he had no radio. He had trouble with his eyes so he read no newspapers, nor did he watch television. But he sold good Hot Dogs.

    He put signs on the highway telling how good they were. He stood on the side of the road and cried ""Buy a Hot Dog Mister?"" And the people bought. He increased his meat and bun orders. He bought a bigger stove to take care of his trade. He finally got his son home from college to help him.

    But then something happened......

    His son said, ""Father, haven''t you been reading the newspaper? There is a big depression on. The European situation is terrible, the domestic situation is worse. Everything is going to pot.""

    There upon the father thought, ""Well, my son''s been to college, he reads the newspapers, he listens to the radio, he watches the television and he ought to know."" So the father cut down on his meat and bun orders took down his advertising signs and no longer bother to stand out on the highway to sell Hot Dogs.

    And his Hot Dog sales fell almost overnight.

    ""You''re right son,"" the father said to the boy. We certainly are in the middle of a great depression.""
    Sort of like "You get out what you put into it"..or .."Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant"..

    Kodak stopped trying with film and planted the wrong seeds for everything else..(or almost everything)

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hollis, NH
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    732
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    The ship hit an iceberg. It wasn't a design fault or poor metallurgy, it hit a an iceberg.It was not designed as an icebreaker.
    The ship hit an iceberg because its rudder was too small to turn the ship quickly enough to avoid the iceberg. The rudder design was in fact faulty.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

  3. #23
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    The ship hit an iceberg. It wasn't a design fault or poor metallurgy, it hit a an iceberg.It was not designed as an icebreaker.

    Actually poor metallurgy was a likely factor. The metal was more brittle than they thought, especially at the cold temperatures encountered.

    Not that that takes away from your point.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  4. #24
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    The ship hit an iceberg because its rudder was too small to turn the ship quickly enough to avoid the iceberg. The rudder design was in fact faulty.
    The ship hit an iceberg because the officer of the deck ordered full-astern, thus compromising the ability of the rudder - regardless of its design - to perform its intended function. In order for a rudder to work correctly a ship must be moving forward. And in order for the rudder to be able to work correctly over the long term, the ship must be steered away from icebergs...

    Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

  5. #25
    Aristophanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    505
    Images
    15
    A combination of factors doomed the Titanic. More importantly, serious design flaws and emergency systems doomed the passengers.

    Does that sound like a Kodak analogy?

  6. #26
    Matthew Wagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sandiacre, Nottinghamshire, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    97
    From what I get about the titanic / kodak relationship is that the man at the top wasn't paying attention.
    The captain of the T ignored ice warnings and took the advice of a money man to go to top speed. The rudder and iceberg wouldn't have been issues if the boss of the ship had his head about him.

    I'm guessing the same about Kodak. The men at the top have had their heads stuck somewhere the sun doesn't shine and now they're hit their iceberg.

  7. #27
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post

    I'm guessing the same about Kodak. The men at the top have had their heads stuck somewhere the sun doesn't shine and now they're hit their iceberg.
    Hmm...an assberg?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  8. #28
    fstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Hmm...an assberg?


    good one!

  9. #29
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Hmm...an assberg?


    Geez, dude. You must be a terror on crossword puzzles...

    Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin