Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,922   Online: 878

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak and Liquidity

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...equipment.html

"Kodak also said it may slow investments in its consumer and commercial inkjet units or sell some of its cash-generating businesses “if liquidity needs require.” It didn’t disclose which units may be sold. "

Hmmm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Inkjet printer business... Their strategy still baffles me. When did they stop inventing at Kodak? Why get on with something that is already a slowing consumer business? Who, other than fine art photographers, buy inkjet printers?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thomas

a lot of their ink printers are consumer printers that use ink that costs a fraction of the $$
    that other inks cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4e8PrIDYNo
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,

It does seem like they are actually starting to sell enough inkjet printers and ink to make a profit on them.

For the sake of the employees, let's hope the trend continues.

I still equate Kodak to being a company of innovation, and am secretly hoping they stretch wider than inkjet printers. If you want to capture future customers, you have to be on the cutting edge, not doing what everybody else is doing.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    They just need to made a Digi body for FD lenses, make it look and work like an A-1 but with an LCD back instead of a film door.

(*hoping they're so desperate they're trolling the Internet for ideas...*)
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they will indeed put their eggs in the inkjet basket, they are slowly doomed. I hate to say it. I hope they spin off the film business before they implode.

Young people don't print photos, except to give to their unhooked grandparents or to hang on a wall. It's more and more a niche business (like film) and less mass market.

If they don't implode, they'll shrink and some creative lawyer-investors will come buy Kodak for the patents and kill off everything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Young people don't print photos, except to give to their unhooked grandparents or to hang on a wall. It's more and more a niche business (like film) and less mass market.
    This is 100% true.
    Railroads killed themselves because they thought they were in the railroad business instead of the transportation business. The USPS is slowly bleeding to death because of the unions, retirements and everything but they still think they are in the letter business not the communication business.

Kodak is in the image business and the quoted fact above means printers will go the way of the typewriters, they need to be more visionary about being in the image business.

They are selling everything they own it seems, all I. property rights are spinning out the door to keep them afloat and the future investors will not want to invest in film, so it will fade faster and faster. I believe if you like Kodak film and paper, buy it and freeze it now.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard that kodak inkjet printers are quiet good and only cost a fraction of their competitors products.

Domink

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very true about young people not printing, but it's not just young people. My wife took a trip earlier this year to visit her parents and relatives, something she only does about every 5 years, and she took a lot of digital pictures. Will she print them? I even had an offer from Kodak Gallery for 100 free prints that expired on Oct. 31. Did she take advantage of that? NO. Just wait for the hard drive and backup drive to fail.

Dave

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    Very true about young people not printing, but it's not just young people. My wife took a trip earlier this year to visit her parents and relatives, something she only does about every 5 years, and she took a lot of digital pictures. Will she print them? I even had an offer from Kodak Gallery for 100 free prints that expired on Oct. 31. Did she take advantage of that? NO. Just wait for the hard drive and backup drive to fail.

Dave
    Costco warehouses in my area often do 4x6 prints for .06 and see only a slight uptick in traffic during the specials.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin