Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    ..and I just bought another 100 of Tri-X
    Of course, your purchase won't keep Kodak alive, but it will give you a nice supply of an emulsion it would appear you enjoy using. That's a pretty good reason in and of itself to buy it.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Excellent news. Now Kodak can concentrate on film
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Wanna bet?
    Sadly, no. But they'd better find something to sell other than seed corn. And fast...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Of course, your purchase won't keep Kodak alive, but it will give you a nice supply of an emulsion it would appear you enjoy using. That's a pretty good reason in and of itself to buy it.

s-a

That's the only reason, unfortunately. I wish these purchases would help Kodak but I'm not fooling myself. Call me a romantic, but I'm not one of those to simply say, "oh well, they are gone and I'll shoot something else". It's Kodak for goodness sake, and it's Tri-X. It's photography, beauty, heritage, history. I want to have enough of those yellow boxes to last me until my eyes give up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its funny how the government stepped in a number of times these past few years to protect institutions that were supposedly a core element the the U.S. economy, from financial institutions, to manufacturing companies, to big technology. But a company such as Kodak, which over its company lifetime has aided the U.S. in a number of huge technological developments and products, as well as employed a substantial work force for the last 100 years, is being left in the dust, having to piecemeal itself apart. Its quite a sad story thats been unfolding, but the truth is, unless kodak does some huge technological leap frogging to boost its revenue, along with some realignment of its marketing department, this only seems as though it will get worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As of their 2010 statement Kodak's assets minus liabilities equaled approximately negative $1 billion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=EK+Balance+Sheet&annual

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Kodak doesn't make cameras but they do sell sensors as far as I know.
    Yes. In fact they make the reportedly superb sensor in the Leica M9.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    It's Kodak for goodness sake, and it's Tri-X. It's photography, beauty, heritage, history. I want to have enough of those yellow boxes to last me until my eyes give up.
    Ha! You're a creature of Branding. 'Our work is done here' Kodak's Marketing and R&D Depts. could say, about a lot of the people who hang out here. I'm one too.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having worked for a large, old company that finally sold everything off and went out of business (White Motors), this makes me sad. I don't think they can make it in the printer business. I'm not that knowledgeable, but I don't see ink cartridges the same as film (maybe razor blades?). Trying to 'leap frog' technology is very difficult. Been there, done that. Unless you have a good foundation and are up on a business, it's almost impossible to come up to speed fast enough.
    I'm sure many good minds are working on their situation, but I fear for their demise.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you can shop for buggy whips on an iPad (and you can) there will always be film, certainly as long as any of us is alive. I think Ilford will be the last man standing in the film coliseum. Fuji is just as capital intensive a business as is Kodak. They'll get out of the film business, too, sooner than later methinks.

If you want to have black & white film around in future years and are running low, support Ilford and not Kodak. Your purchase there will be something more than a mere exercise in futility.

I'm down to my last 10 sheets of 8x10 Tmax. When it's gone I'll order HP5+.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 11-08-2011 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Yes. In fact they make the reportedly superb sensor in the Leica M9.
    So I believe...but how many M9's are sold in a year, compared with, say, smartphones.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin