Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 969

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    If you can shop for buggy whips on an iPad (and you can) there will always be film, certainly as long as any of us is alive. I think Ilford will be the last man standing in the film coliseum. Fuji is just as capital intensive a business as is Kodak. They'll get out of the film business, too, sooner than later methinks.

If you want to have black & white film around in future years and are running low, support Ilford and not Kodak. Your purchase there will be something more than a mere exercise in futility.

I'm down to my last 10 sheets of 8x10 Tmax. When it's gone I'll order HP5+.
    The difference is that a skilled worker, on his own, can make a top quality buggy whip in a back-yard workshop with relatively simple tools and materials. You can't make a 35mm film in that way.

(I agree with what you say about Fuji and Ilford...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference is that a skilled worker, on his own, can make a top quality buggy whip in a back-yard workshop with relatively simple tools and materials. You can't make a 35mm film in that way.
    Well I'm glad I'm learning to pour plates then!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    So I believe...but how many M9's are sold in a year, compared with, say, smartphones.

Enough to have resurrected Leica from near death and triggering backorders of six months or more for lenses that cost $5,000+++
    Keep it small, keep it focused, and, as Steve Jobs would say.."make insanely great products".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is true as far as I know. There's a particular store here in Montreal (photography dead zone) selling Leica gear and I asked him one day if he actually sells any of the digital Leica stuff, particularly considering how expensive the latest incarnations of the M lenses are. He told me he honestly sells more than he can deliver and things are backordered, and that the last Leica product he remembers being in such demand was the M4.

Anyhow my point was only that Kodak can indeed still come up with leading-edge ideas.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post

(I agree with what you say about Fuji and Ilford...)
    The point is that there's demand for buggy whips no matter how advanced transportation technology becomes. No matter how photography changes there will always be demand for film so someone will always make it. Perhaps this is a better example.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The point is that there's demand for buggy whips no matter how advanced transportation technology becomes. No matter how photography changes there will always be demand for film so someone will always make it. Perhaps this is a better example.
    AHHH, but what if the film was $100 a sheet or roll? I'm pretty sure that the demand for film and then its supply would dry up pretty damn quickly.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    AHHH, but what if the film was $100 a sheet or roll? I'm pretty sure that the demand for film and then its supply would dry up pretty damn quickly.....
    Sure would. I guess we'll all just have to learn to pour wet plates. Or find another hobby.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    My own feeling is that the current increases in prices must already be having an effect on demand. For many of us, photography is a hobby (in my case, one of several), and discretionary spending at a time when there are other priorities. I've totally no intention of giving up yet, but my shooting this year has, deliberately, become much more selective, and I've probably bought and used around one-third of the materials used in the same period last year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    we'll all be making lumen prints on film+paper when all that is sold
    is 15-23 years old and fogged found in somene's basement and listed
    by an unknowing no-nothing friend on ebay showing
    all the paper + film fanned out on a tabletop so we can see we are
    bidding on real photo paper and real film.
    just like they were doing a few years ago when azo died

those will be the days !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure would. I guess we'll all just have to learn to pour wet plates. Or find another hobby.
    And when in my case it is more than just your job and is your entire life, you make sure you have the capital laying around to order several hundred rolls of TMax 100 in 120 and the needed chemistry. I will do more if things head further South...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin