Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,589   Online: 914

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Enough to have resurrected Leica from near death and triggering backorders of six months or more for lenses that cost $5,000+++
    Keep it small, keep it focused, and, as Steve Jobs would say.."make insanely great products".
    Yes, but I was wondering if there would, overall, be better profits in making millions of lower quality sensors for smartphones that a few hundred insanely great ones for Leicas? Does Bugatti make more profit in a year from selling a few hundred insanely great luxury cars than Toyota make from selling a few million everyday cars and trucks which the average motorist can hope to be able to afford? I don't know?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Yes, but I was wondering if there would, overall, be better profits in making millions of lower quality sensors for smartphones that a few hundred insanely great ones for Leicas? Does Bugatti make more profit in a year from selling a few hundred insanely great luxury cars than Toyota make from selling a few million everyday cars and trucks which the average motorist can hope to be able to afford? I don't know?

I don't think one is right and the other one wrong. Just different business models. Leica is in a good spot now and apparently they are trying to ramp up lens production to meet demand. The question is how to stay relevant in a market that is essentially merely evolutionary.. at best. As we all know, there is really nothing revolutionary for these guys to come up with in Photography. They'll never catch up with Apple when it comes to the masses so they can only hope to continue to cater to a niche market of wealthy individuals.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    ...They'll never catch up with Apple when it comes to the masses so they can only hope to continue to cater to a niche market of wealthy individuals.
    Which bodes well for future used-market buyers, yes?

s-a

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Which bodes well for future used-market buyers, yes?

s-a
    You would think...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    If you can shop for buggy whips on an iPad (and you can) there will always be film, certainly as long as any of us is alive. I think Ilford will be the last man standing in the film coliseum. Fuji is just as capital intensive a business as is Kodak. They'll get out of the film business, too, sooner than later methinks.

If you want to have black & white film around in future years and are running low, support Ilford and not Kodak. Your purchase there will be something more than a mere exercise in futility.

I'm down to my last 10 sheets of 8x10 Tmax. When it's gone I'll order HP5+.
    Same here. I made the switch, without regret, to PanF Plus when EK discontinued Panatonic X. When the last 32 rolls, and 20-odd sheets (?) of Tri-x sitting in my freezer are done, it's over to Ilford for everything B&W. I'll continue to buy E110G and E100VS in 35mm and 2 1/4 as long as they are available. As soon as they are gone, however, all my film work will be B&W Ilford; and all my color d#*@*#l. (What a hell of a letdown from the glory days of Kodachrome!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    AHHH, but what if the film was $100 a sheet or roll? I'm pretty sure that the demand for film and then its supply would dry up pretty damn quickly.....
    100$ per roll will not happen.
    One can make a roll of 35mm film (perhaps in plastic casettes in the future) for les than 10 USD (todays value) in very small quantities in 100 ASA or less. Making 400 ASA is a bit more difficult. More than 400 ASA I would leave to digital.

Our small factory can make quantities of a few thousand rolls of film at about 3-5 USD per roll.

Mirko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mirko, thanks for your realism!

I'm getting a bit tired of reading the same BOOHOOO ALL FILM WILL DISAPPER SOON bullshit. It's been going on since early 2000's. It has not happened so far and will not happen in the future, either. Of course, if the society crumbles completely or the Earth explodes, film will be gone, but otherwise, black and white film and paper will be commercially produced at a reasonable price. It's because it is so easy to manufacture (compared to many other niche industrial products). Even niche market is ok for B&W film. Even I could start a company to produce small amounts if I really wanted to. There are at least 20-30 people just on APUG who could do that, if not more.

So, there is absolutely no question about BW film!

However, it is not so easy to guarantee the availability of color film. Still, I'm quite sure it will be available for decades in some form. This is a guess. I'm quite sure I'll be right on this, too ;D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak just placed portions of its main office for sale to MCC (Monroe Community College) as downtown office space. They have also apparently changed attorneys or hired new ones for assistance with financial woes.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak just placed portions of its main office for sale to MCC (Monroe Community College) as downtown office space. They have also apparently changed attorneys or hired new ones for assistance with financial woes.

PE
    Having spent the first 30 years of my life in Rochester this is all very sad news. My grandfather was hired by EK in 1942 fresh out of High School; following the war they hired him back and he stayed until retirement in '82. With only a high school education Kodak paid him well enough to buy a house and support a wife and three kids - with enough left over for a boat, vacations, etc. Of course some remember the yearly "bonus", which came to be seen as an entitlement after a while. They were good times. All of my uncles and great uncles worked there as well. My best friend's dad was a chemist there and would often take us to their (Kodak's) bowling lanes and camera club back in the early 80's. The food in the cafeteria was cheap and delicious!! I bet the guy washing the dishes there made enough $$ to own his own house as well LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    OUCH. Most sad indeed.

To be honest, I never thought I would see anything even remotely resembling what is going on with Kodak. Methinks I'd better stock up on TMX and TMY while I can.
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin