Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,959   Online: 789

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually the film part of the business might survive in some form as it's pretty much been paid for in terms of R&D and has a steady cash flow. It may just not be called Kodak in the future if the business unit survives.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't believe the recent quarterly report shows much revenue in the film lines:

"Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment Group third-quarter sales were $389 million, a 10% decline from the year-ago quarter, driven by continuing industry-related volume declines. Third-quarter earnings from operations for the segment were $15 million, compared with earnings of $28 million in the year-ago period. This decrease in earnings was primarily driven by significantly increased raw material costs, particularly silver, and industry-related declines in volumes, largely offset by cost reductions and price actions across the segment."

I believe it will be first to be divested...

Their own quarterly rpt, almost goes out of its way to ostracize film:

"Eastman Kodak Company (NYSE:EK) today reported steady progress toward becoming a profitable and sustainable digital company as third-quarter digital earnings improved, excluding non-recurring patent licensing revenue in the prior-year period, and sales increased in its core digital growth businesses."

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Kodak_...sformation.htm
    Last edited by zsas; 01-04-2012 at 04:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fix link
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, and all the profit went into digital! If it was plowed back into film, film would be healthier! My opinion!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Linky no worky
    K.S. Klain

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The question I keep asking myself is how much of Kodak's misery is Perez 'fault and how much the rest of the Kodak board is responsible for Kodaks downfall. Perez tried to make Kodak a digital/printer company, Perez constantly badmouthed film and I think it's about time that CEOs (not only Kodaks) were held responsible for their actions and not give a golden parachute. I also believe when a CEO sees that one of his ideas (in this case turing Kodak into a digital company) doesn't work out and only costs money thus actively hurting the profitable parts of the business he should change his ideas or cut the non profitable businesses. Perez did the opposite by selling the gelatine business and screwing the film division.

Dominik

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    At least he sold the sensor division too.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Instead of selling parts of Kodaks he should have sold himself to some rich slavetrader and work off the damage he's done to the company. Unfortunately it's more likely that he will receive the golden parachute and a lot of Kodak employees the blue letter all because of his incompetence.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has a long history of making high level errors. I am working on a summary of these that I may let come out sometime. I saw them all from the bottom looking up. Even from there they were pretty bad.

The most glaring was the kickoff. They turned down Chester Carlson citing the fact that Verifax was a superior document duplicating system compared to Xerography. "That huge machine will never match the simplicity and excellence of the Verifax system." That is an approximate quote from the 5 star report I read. BTW, my spell checker recognizes Xerography but not Verifax. (Isn't that amazing?)

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They need to spin off the FMPEG division to a separate company or get rid of the digital crap entirely.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another bit of note. From the Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_19669279

Headline: Kodak sells 320 acres of Windsor campus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin