Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,619   Online: 1267

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    According to Kodak ads, the Verifax could sit on your secretary's desk so it would save you all the expense of her travel time.

I'd see that argument working quite well in the Mad Men days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wasn't that long that Ilford went through bankruptcy and restructuring. I'd say bankruptcy is preferable to an IP fire sale. Death and rebirth ... if there is a rebirth.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Their film business is still very profitable. They will re-emerge just fine. I've been shooting Kodak all year to do my part for the company. I love Tmax 400 and Ektachrome too much to see it all go away.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    Their film business is still very profitable. They will re-emerge just fine. I've been shooting Kodak all year to do my part for the company. I love Tmax 400 and Ektachrome too much to see it all go away.
    "Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment Group third-quarter sales were $389 million, a 10% decline from the year-ago quarter, driven by continuing industry-related volume declines. Third-quarter earnings from operations for the segment were $15 million, compared with earnings of $28 million in the year-ago period. This decrease in earnings was primarily driven by significantly increased raw material costs, particularly silver, and industry-related declines in volumes, largely offset by cost reductions and price actions across the segment."

It's not the margins that are the concern. It's the rapid and far-from-done decline of gross revenues.

There are virtually no new film caress manufactured in any volume. The same now for motion picture equipment. Film sales will follow that dynamic, existing off old stock and inventory in decline. eBay and the Classifieds here cannot keep emulsion plants capitalized. Kodak, Ilford, will not have credit extended for anything under that outcome.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    But Ilford's profits are rising...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    They will re-emerge just fine.
    Wonder if these stakeholders feel the same?

"Advisers told Kodak a filing would make its patent sale easier and likely allow the company to command a higher price, people familiar with the matter have said. The obligation to cover pension and health-care costs for retirees could also be purged through bankruptcy proceedings, the people said."

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't understand some of the people here sometimes. It's like we have some members who *want* to see Kodak or other film manufacturers fail at selling film.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I can't understand some of the people here sometimes. It's like we have some members who *want* to see Kodak or other film manufacturers fail at selling film.
    Just like auto racing, people find crashes to be the most exciting part. An orderly race from green to checkered flag is no fun to watch...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin